Help Me With Painting On Fondant Please?

Decorating By mayra Updated 4 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm by yayadesigns

mayra Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone,

I tried painting fondant with red red airbrush paint with a brush and after it dries the red looks almost burgundy, I dont want my red to be so dark. Does anyone have any suggestions. It seems that the fondant soaks up the paint and turns darker for some reason. What can I do? Thanks in advance.

Mayra

12 replies
mayra Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 13

Nobody? anybody? please

julzs71 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 13

dilute it with a little bit of vodka. Maybe it is just too thick.

rhondab Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 13

Maybe a touch of white mixed with the red will help

mayra Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 13

ok, i tried mixing it with a little vodka and it worked. I got the perfect color. But here is another issue. Once it dries the fondant soaks up the paint and it looks dull. How can I keep it to where it looks shiny once dry? Should i glaze it first before painting or paint it with something else once the red is dry? please help thanks a bunch. icon_cry.gif

mayra Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 13

ok i have over 80 views on this one and nobody can give me any tips please? I guess I will be doing some more google searching. icon_sad.gif

Rosie2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 13

Sorry, I pretty new to this so, can't help you. Maybe one of the experts will see your questions.

Good luck!

milissasmom Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 13

I have painted many cakes and have never had it dull up onme. Iy actually dries to a shine for me (coloring gel mixed with extract). Noy sure why this is happening for you. Good luck with your search!

Rosie2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 13

I just remember something!!...a friend made a cake that looked pretty shinny. The cake was covered with fondant so I asked her and this is what she did: diluted a little glucose with drops of rum and then brushed it on her fondant. It looked pretty shinny but I have not tried that myself, ok? that's what she told me....

Good luck

gracecakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #10 of 13

hola,
I have an airbrush and compressor so I haven't really done the painting by hand unless i am touching up. What I can tell you though is that with airbrush colors I almost always mix with water, because they are very stong colors and they go a long way, kinda like the wilton gel colors. "A little bit goes a long way". I never glaze or anything like that, matter of fact as you probably know from experience getting your fondant wet with usually produce a shine not a dull look. So I would suggest you try mixing the color with water not vodka. I think the vodka is more for like fine painting and painting on shimmer dusts, and not so much painting broad stoke or trying to paint a big amount of the cake. Hope this helps. Its only a guestimation.

SUELA Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 13

Maybe go over with some lustre/pearl dusts?

tlreetz Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 13

I am a huge airbrusher and I also paint a lot on my cakes, too. If you use airbrush color to paint you will need to airbrush over dried product with luster or straight vodka to get the shine. If you paint with gell color and vodka, it will be very shiny when it dries.

yayadesigns Posted 4 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayra

ok, i tried mixing it with a little vodka and it worked. I got the perfect color. But here is another issue. Once it dries the fondant soaks up the paint and it looks dull. How can I keep it to where it looks shiny once dry? Should i glaze it first before painting or paint it with something else once the red is dry? please help thanks a bunch. icon_cry.gif

This is a couple days late (I found your post when I was searching for fondant + painting) but what if afterwards you paint or spray it with confectioner's glaze (edible lacquer)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%