Need Tips For Rolling Out Large Pcs Of Fondant

Decorating By SugaredUp Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm by loriemoms

SugaredUp Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all!

I made a 14" petal cake the other day and had a really hard time rolling out the fondant. The Wilton roll and cut mat really sux in my opinion. It rolls up on me, so I have to tape it down, which never works well. Plus, it's not really big enough. Plus, the fondant kind of sticks to it sometimes in random spots.

So.... next time I have a huge piece of fondant to roll out, I'm wondering what I can do differently so that I don't have so many issues and I get a nice clean, even piece.

Thanks so much!!!

6 replies
Cakeonista Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 7

I have found through trial and error that using crisco works fabulously. I have a granite table which helps but i till need the crisco. The cornstarch and ps does not work for me at all. I just tried for the first time Satin Ice fondant, ripped very easily. The marshmallow one i made and the wilton one are much easier to use, they dont roll or rip as easily. which fondant are you using maybe i can try yours.

tiggy2 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 7

Buy a large piece of vinyl at the fabric store and coat it with crisco. Roll your fondant on the vinyl then flip the whole thing over on your cake and peel the vinyl off. Much easier then trying to lift the fondant or put it on a rolling pin.

wendy1273 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with Tiggy,
I cover 14" cake all the time and I just use the old fashion method, I put cornstarch on the table and roll than I pick it up with my Wilton roll. I just make sure that the cake is very close to me when I pick it up.

If you want you can buy the blue silicon mat is 24"x36" it works very well, I have two but now I just use a vinyl plastic covering my table and I don't have to deal with my mat moving around, it works good.

I use Satin Ice and I love it but if you take too long rolling it will dry on you and it will crack on the edges when you put it on the cake, so if you are covering a big cake and are not use to using Satin ice I will suggest to do what Tiggy said.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Good luck

SugaredUp Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 7

I should have mentioned that I'm making my own MMF using Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe here on CC. I have no problems with it unless I'm trying to roll out a huge piece. I am definitely going to try using the vinyl. I think that might do the trick. Thanks so much!!!!

wendy1273 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 7

I used to use mmf before but I'm so busy now that I started to purchase Satin ice a while ago, is very difficult when you make mmf to have the same consistency every time.
I try covering a big cake with it a while ago and it did not work even with the vinyl.

Good luck

loriemoms Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 7

I have one of the aetco blue mats...I grease it down with crisco and roll out my fondant, then flip it over the cake. I have done cakes as large as 20 inches with no problem with this method. I found using the fondant rolled up on the roller or drapped over didnt work as well on the larger cakes...

Quote by @%username% on %date%