How Do I Charge For A Cake To Feed 20 People?

Decorating By marie92001 Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm by pjmw

marie92001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marie92001 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 5

I have onyl made about 5 cakes and those have been free for practice but now i have to make a cell phone cake for a friends daughter and not sure how to price? This should feed around 20 people.
This is a firend also so i dont want to over charge but would like to make a few bucks!
Thanks for your help!

4 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure where you're located, but I would start by pricing some cakes at local bakeries. I've asked and heard other people state what they paid for cakes at bakeries in my area and knew I was within my price range.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 5

Some people charge by the slice some charge $2.50 a slice some charge $3.00 a slice I guess it depends how much you put in to it

Molly2

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 5

Marie--
A sculpted cake should be more than what you charge regular cake. I usually start my sculpted cakes at $85 but will be going up to a minimum charge of $100.00 ($5.00 per serving as encouraged by Norman Davis)

Sculpted cakes take time, thought and usually more cake since you have to cut away some cake.

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 5

Your price will depend on a lot of things. Are you using fondant or buttercream? Are there going to be extra decorations that will need to be paid for. You will find a big price range on CC and a variety of opinions on what is a fair price. Figure out what your expenses will be and add what you think your time is worth. That way your expenses are covered (include board, covering for the board, etc) and you will get something for your effort. HTH.

Paula

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%