Desperate: Need Caramel Or Br. Sugar Cake/cupcake Recipe!!!

Baking By arline Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm by arline

arline Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:29am
post #1 of 8

I'm looking EVERYWHERE for a recipe that was started, I would guess, in the early 40s - maybe orig. at a school or hospital. I would call it a caramel-flavored or brown sugar type of cake, NOT a cake with caramel frosting - it only has a thick glaze on it. The cake itself is tan-colored (from brown sugar). It's a light & tender cake with good-sized holes (not a tight cake). I DO know most of the ingredients: light BROWN sugar, BUTTERMILK, soybean OIL, NOT BUTTER or shortening (perhaps orig. version was made with butter but not now), flour (prob. all purpose), eggs, salt. Maybe butter flavoring? These are most of the ingredients that I know for a fact. To clarify, there is no layer of caramel within the cake or on top as an icing. It TASTES like a luscious caramel or brown sugar-flavored cake, distinct but subtle, a little buttery. I don't need, necessarily, an icing recipe, as I'm pretty sure it's just melted butter & br. sugar or similar, like a glaze. Every recipe I find for caramel cake is a standard cake with caramel icing - not what I'm looking for. PUHLEEZE help if you can. Thank you!!

7 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 8

Brown sugar and butter make praline. Have you tried using that as a keyword in your search?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

arline Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 8

Praline cakes typically have bits of praline candy or filling or icing in them. I've yet to find something where the flavor is integrated in the cake. BTW, when I listed soybean oil above, that's Wesson Oil, etc.

arline

sadiepix Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 8

Do you think it could be Brown Sugar Coffee Cake?
It sounds like one from your description. Coarser crumb, tender with more moisture, and a deep brown sugar flavor.
The recipes I have all have oil (vegetable or canola) or butter and milk or buttermilk. Each uses either brown or dark brown sugar and all have a brown sugar glaze on top.

Try googling "Brown Sugar Coffee Cake" or typing that into your fave recipe sites to see if ones seems to meet your recollection. If not can look at mine ans see if one is close enough to yours.

HTH

arline Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:43am
post #5 of 8

Sadiepix: Thank you; your description sounds quite right! How do I find YOUR recipes you mentioned? My search of br. sug. coffee cake lead me to zero here & several identical recipes on Google or a few variations but all made with butter and I'm looking for oil & buttermilk in the ingred. Would sure appreciate any of yours to try.

arline

sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 8

Sure thing--let me hunt mine down and I will get them posted in just a bit!

sadiepix Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 8

Brown Sugar Cake #1-
2 c Brown sugar; packed
1 3/4 c Flour- sifted
1 ts Baking soda
1/4 ts Salt
2 Eggs
3/4 c Buttermilk
1/2 c oil

Mix dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients that have been lightly beaten. Mix all together well. Bake at 325 til done by pan size.
Glaze if desired.

Brown Sugar Coffee Cake #2-
4 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
3 tbsp. oil
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp anise extract (opt)

Mix all ingredients (quick bread style) and pour into desired pan. Bake at 350 til done.
Glaze as desired. Nuts and spices could be added to batter as well.

Brown Sugar Cake #3-
(This one does have butter rather than oil, but I imagine you could make a substitution.)

2 1/2c All-purpose flour
2ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Baking soda
1/8 ts Salt
1c Unsalted butter, at room temperature
2c Firmly packed light brown sugar
3 Eggs
1T Vanilla
1/4ts Anise extract
1c Buttermilk

Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda,
and salt in a large bowl. Beat the butter and brown
sugar in another large bowl for about 3 minutes, until
light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl
as needed.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute
after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and anise
extract. Reduce the mixer speed to the lowest
setting; add one-third of the flour mixture, beating
just until blended. Pour in 1/2 cup of the buttermilk,
beating until just combined. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and buttermilk, ending with the flour mixture.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Rotate the
pan briskly to even and settle the batter. Bake for
60 to 65 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in
the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a
rack and cool for 30 minutes. Run a thin knife around
the inside of the pan and remove to cool.
(Bake less for smaller pans of course, this was for a tube pan)

Hope one of these seems familiar and might be what you are after! Good luck!

Sadie

arline Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 8

Sadiepix: THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH; I can't wait to try them - thank you, again. Wow; I hope one of these is what I'm looking for.

arline

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%