Not On Time

Decorating By Cakes-Armour Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm by ShopGrl1128

Cakes-Armour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-Armour Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:55am
post #1 of 7

hi everyone
im what u call a newbe i just recently did my first wedding cake and i was very late while i was setting up the cake the wedding party walked in and the bride was very upset i tried to finish the best i could be she was standing there with her arms folded my hands started shaking and i just had to stop the cake was like she wanted it but the finishing touches were not done all i could do was cry i left but i had to go back because my husband was her caterer and i had to serve
what do u do when something like this happen?

6 replies
cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:26am
post #2 of 7

We all learn something each time we do a wedding cake and being that this was your first one, your timing was off. Next time you'll know to allow yourself more time for the set up. The cake was what she wanted and that's the important thing and I'm sure it was lovely.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #3 of 7

Oh gosh, you poor thing. (((hugs)))

I am usually the one who allows TOO much time and then hopes no one messes it up before the reception starts. Maybe next time you could have more done ahead of time. How much time did you allow yourself? What all did you still have to do once you got there?

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 7

I am so sorry...yes we learn every time we do a cake. One thing I have noticed is that wedding ceremonies often are shorter than the bride things. I have been to ceremonies that only lasted 15 minutes!!! If it's Catholic with mass you can count on it being longer, but a lot of times they are just shorter than expected and you probably thought you had more time to set up. Don't worry. Has she contacted you about money back?

Cakes-Armour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes-Armour Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 7

it was surpose to start at 6:30 and and i got there for 5:50 and the bride arrived at 6:00 and just her candles were not lit and i didnt get a chance to put border around all over her cakes but as soon as the photo come i well upload it
no she has not contacted me yet
i know now to be extra early
but i had so many problem with the cake because my husband was cooking and the house was not as cool as it should be
i just need to leave time for me to make mistake
thank u all

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:58am
post #6 of 7

well chalk it up to experience. when i was helping my friend with her wedding, her cake was delivered at the venue 3 hours before the reception was scheduled to start.

you'll do better next time icon_smile.gif *hugs*

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 7

Awwwâ¦you poor thingâ¦(((hugs))).

I usually try to be at the venue at least 2 hours before the reception but last weekend the cake took me way more time than expected
and I ended up getting to the place one hour before the reception started.
I was still on time and the set up took me less than 10mins but the bride and groom got there earlier and they watched me to do the set up.
I got really nervous and my hands were shaking like a leaf but they loved their cake so watching their reaction made me more comfortable.

Iâm really working hard on following my own schedule and have the cake complete done at least 4 hrs before the event.
My schedule for this week has a couple of extra days off before the wedding to allow myself to catch up with things that didnât get done on time.
Based on that, this weekâs cake will be finished on Friday night so Saturday morning Iâll use it to put the flowers on the cake and do the borders.

Try to create a schedule that works for you based on how fast you work, try to follow it as much as possible, planning ahead make things a lot easier.

Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%