Balls/wire/beads Help?

Decorating By karateka Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm by karateka

karateka Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 9

I've got a customer who wants a cake like this:

I figure I can make the balls on wire, but I don't know about the pearls....they look like something you'd buy in the bridal flower arranging department. Has anyone seen them and know where I might find them? I'm trying to price this out for her and don't really know what to tell her yet. What would you charge for just the ball/bead decorations?

I figure I can find wide silver ribbon at Michaels. (So if someone knows differently, pls let me know!)

8 replies
JoAnnB Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 9

I bought the little pearl strands at Michaels in the bridal flower section. It was in a bundle of 20 or so strands. Just separate the strands for single use. I put them in many floral arrangements.

karateka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #3 of 9

Cool! Thanks! Were they expensive? Seems like they'd be inexpensive. I can't imagine more than say $3. Do you remember?

JoAnnB Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:15am
post #4 of 9

I don't recall but I'm sure it wasn't very expensive.

karateka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #5 of 9

I thought not...

Thanks a bunch!

jolmk Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 9

I bought gold ones for my MIL anniversary cake. They are in the bridal dept. They came in a package of 6 bundles taped together with floral tape then each bundle had 16 clear line with the beads. I cut them apart just above the floral tape. I think I paid 1.77 for a package.

karateka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 9

cakedout Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 9

May I put in my 2 cents worth?

Treat the wired balls and pearl sprays as you would flowers- they could be wired together, then stick the arrangement into a straw or floral pick inserted into the top tier---then arrange the fondant balls around it. The arrangement would look much more asthetically pleasing than how it was done in the picture.

Also, IMHO, the gold foil detracts from the cake colors- cover the board in fondant and use a thinner version of the cake ribbon for around the edge of the cakeboard. thumbs_up.gif

karateka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 9

Well, the client gave me this picture, so I can't change it much. The colors she wants are different. Her colors are red and white and silver, so I won't have to worry about the gold foil in the pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%