Help Figuring Costs

Decorating By kutabby Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 10:54pm by indydebi

kutabby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kutabby Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to figure up my ingredient costs for my recipes. I'm HORRIBLE with numbers icon_redface.gif I've looked at Cake Boss, but don't want to pay for just this one part b/c I can keep track of the rest of my stuff. Anyone found anything helpful out on the internet for free? Or any tips? Thanks!

3 replies
eesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eesmith Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 4

What I did, I dowload the alice matrix is free in this forum.
Just do a seach for alice matrix or under charts and you will find it, she did a great job.
the other thing, everytime a make a cake right away I write down everything that I bought and how long it takes me to do the cake, So let's say I spend $24 in ingredients and materials, 24 + 3.5 hrs at $8 =$52 +$10 for gas to pick up the materials =$62
customer price =$62 - $65 that's for a plain decoration.
Neve charge less.
It takes time to make a cake.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 4

Do you bake from scratch or box? A doctored box costs me $4 to make per batch, BC icing per batch $4, cake boards .70 cents each. I plan on doing a more detailed list but this will get you started. I think I figured a white cake from scratch cost me about the same as a doctored box.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 4

I just use excel. What is the cost of your bag of flour? Check the nutrition label for number of servings. There are about 20 cups of flour in a 5 lb bag. Divide the cost by 20 and you now have your cost per cup. How many cups are in your recipe? Times the cost per cup?

Do this with everything you buy. My spreadsheet is almost 400 lines and over 35 columns. (Debi Does Data!!) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%