County Fair Entries

Decorating By fbgirl00 Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm by fbgirl00

fbgirl00 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 9

Ok so I am going to be ambitious this year and enter almost every cake category in our little county fair. One of the categories is a doctored cake from a mix. There are so many possibilities here I can't decide on one. Anyone want to throw some suggestions out there? Do you have a favorite cake/icing combo? (We cannot use any cream cheese icing).Thanks.

8 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 9

do you have the cake mix doctor book? they have a ton in there.
one of my favorites is pineapple upside down using a yellow cake, replace the water with pineapple juice, put 1/4 to 1/2 c butter in a large cast iron or stainless steel pan with 1/2 c. brown sugar, let melt. add pinepple rings, top with cake

rebekahjohnson81 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 9

the cake doctor has wonderful recipes ... my favorite doctored mix is the Chocolate Covered Cherry cake recipe from that book - it's just devil's food cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling. normally i'm not a fan of canned pie fillings, but that was the nicest tasting, most moist cake i've ever had.

2Cupcakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 9

I like the orange marmalade cake from the cake doctor. I'm not sure if it's from the cake book or the cupcake book. It has a cream cheese frosting in the book with it but you can make it with a buttercream frosting and add some orange flavoring to it.

Jayde Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 9

I was able to check out the cake mix doctor book from my local library. You should check there first, and see if you even like it, before you go out and buy it. I find myself doing that more and more with recipe books. Then if I really like the book I will go out and buy it. I have wasted more money on crappy cake recipe books than I care to admit....

That being sad, I like the Kahlua cake recipe, with chocolate mousse, and whipped cream icing out of that book I believe. I like the cake extender recipe that is posted on this site as well. I add all kinds of flavorings, chocolate, coffee, jellies, extracts, etc. to my cakes all the time.

My banana is popular, my carrot cake is popular, cinnamon bun, dark chocolate orange, cappuccino, peanut butter cup, chocolate hazelnut, moon pie, sheesh I could go on forever. I think my specialty cakes list is too long, I think most bakers would yell at me for having such a long list, but when I find something that works I try to put it down on paper.

Just ask if you see something you like and need more clairification.

fbgirl00 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone, I have the cake mix doctor book and have only made the Darn Good Chocolate cake so far. They all sound so good, I am thinking maybe the Banana cake with the quick caramel frosting, anyone tried that one? The peanut butter cup and chocolate hazelnut sound awesome. I usually doctor mixes with pudding and the liquid coffee creamers but I would like to make something that will really wow the judge's tastebuds!

lizziegirl Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 9

Are they going to taste your cake? I'm entering one next month but they don't taste the cake, it's just the decoration they judge.

fbgirl00 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 9

They take a small sample out of the cake, I assume they taste them too but I don't know for sure. We only have one category for a decorated cake and they don't cut it. Last year I only entered the decorated category because my oven was broken and I had to bake my cake at a friend's house. This year I am entering as many as I can. There is not usually a big turn out for cakes entered, I would love to help revive this part of the fair, there were some categories that no one even entered last year.

fbgirl00 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 9

Duplicate Post

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%