A Cake That Almost Stood Up To 105 Degree Heat

Decorating By jmt1714 Updated 29 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm by Solecito

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 9

I finally got a photo of this from my friend. It was her wedding present. she got married on literally the hottest day of the year so far . . . and it had to be a BC cake. sigh.

It lasted for almost 4 hours in 105 degree heat before the top slowly slid off. Fortunately she had the photographer get the money shots right away and didnt wait until "cake cutting time"

Each layer was a different flavor and sadly the top was lost (the chocolate rocks). Covered only in BC, with gumpaste hydrandeas I had made up ahead of time. I am not happy with the smoothness nor with the border, but as the BC was so goopy I could barely work with it, there wasn't much to be done. All in all I was happy it turned out as well as it did!
LL

8 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 9

It's very pretty! I love your hydrangeas. What kind of BC was it (SMBC, American, etc.)? I can't even get my SMBC to hold up in my kitchen, let alone outside in the heat!

jmt1714 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 9

regular American buttercream, but using all hi-ratio shortening and no butter at all (so not REALLY BC, but you know what I mean .. . lol)

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 9

Your cake is stunning! I love the gentle blue and the flowers you made!

jmt1714 Posted 28 Jul 2008 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 9

thanks . . . blue can be a tough color, can't it? i was really happy with the hydrangeas though . . . they aren't hard at all - just a lot of pieces to assemble.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #6 of 9

Hey JMT, icon_smile.gif

You cake is lovely! icon_biggrin.gif I'm sure your girlfriend was thrilled. I haven't tried hydrangeas yet, but they are on the list. icon_smile.gif

I can soooo relate about the heat...lol I live in Louisiana, so I do understand. I rarely have a problem because I use IndyDebi's icing and it works great! My last cake was one of those last minute, you have 2 days to get it done...lol It was supper hot and my kitchen was pretty much sweltering. On top of that I have the dreaded "hot hands"...

I know better, but completely forgot to stick both the cake and the piping bags in the fridge. When I am decorating when it's this hot, I alternate between bags of icing in and out of the fridge so that the decorations go on the cake correctly. Then once I'm finished I put the decorated cake in the fridge and it kind of "sets" them and they last longer at the event. You might want to give it a try if you have another "hot" cake... icon_biggrin.gif

HTH,
Pat B.

jmt1714 Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #7 of 9

Each layer of the cake was FROZEN when it left my house . . . but it was that hot !!! Oh well - what are you going to do. They got their "moment" pics and most of the cake survived long enough to cut.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:59am
post #8 of 9

Another example of why I.......hate, loath, despise, and disapprove of.......outdoor cake tables!! Yet I keep doing them...

Why oh why do brides bother with outdoor cakes!!?? If I could give them a lecture on this, I would! You wanna get married outside and stand there sweating in your dress, with everyone watching, sweating in the heat, WHY does anyone think a cake could survive it?! I could go on...What's wrong with a nice AIR CONDITIONED ROOM...Why can't they-mmphff tapedshut.gif (clapping hand over mouth)

It's a beautiful cake, by the way--the hydrangeas are perfection! So sorry it didn't survive well!!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 29 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 9

Lovely flowers and beautiful cake!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%