Wilton Fondant Vs. Satin Ice

Decorating By aandecakedesign Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 2:04pm by Nicolle711

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 13

Hello, never used satin ice but I have used wilton fondant mainly for accents. I had to use it to cover a cake the other day. HATED it. It seemed so hard to roll it as big as I need for this cake. Was it me? Is satin ice better to roll? I want to make my own fondant but Im not good at having things turn out so it would be a waste of money for me if it doesnt. Any suggestions if you have used wilton?

12 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 13

Wilton is okay to work with, but the taste is beyond gross. Satin Ice is lovely to work with and tastes really good actually. I've tried making my own. Love the taste of homemade fondant, but I still have not mastered getting it the right consistency, so I haven't successfully used homemade to cover a cake with. Satin Ice is great! Don't ever use Wilton again. I don't know how it even qualifies as "food." Blech!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 13

I'm pretty new, but I found that anything tastes better than Wilton Fondant. I've tried Satin Ice , Fondariffic and Patinice. They all tasted great and work well. Dark colors tend to be softer and a little sticky. I love Jennifer Dontz's, chocolate fondant recipe. You can make it any flavor or color and it is so easy to work with. It does not distort when you pick it up out of molds or onto the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I don't know how it even qualifies as "food." Blech!

Double amen!!!

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 13

Satin Ice all the way!!! That's all I use. I haven't attempted to make my own fondant as of yet, still a little to scared to do that... but haven't had any problems whatsoever with the Satin Ice.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 13

Yep, SatinIce. I've made MMF several times but it comes out different every time so I've just learned to get SatinIce.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 13

I used Wilton for a dummy cake (thats all its really good for) as I had a nice 50% coupon. Never again. It is HARD to roll out, its like rubber!!! I could use any other fondant, roll it out thinner and it ended up costing the same. (Wilton, btw, AINT CHEAP!!)

I personally prefer Fondx...Satin ice to me has a too strong of a flavor and is too stretchy and soft.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 13

Hi, Can someone give me the Santin Ice Recipe so I can try it. I always worked with fondant. I would like to try the Santin Ice. like to learn new stuff. Thank U

Margie from Ct thumbs_up.gif

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #9 of 13

Satin ice all the way...I love, love. love it. The Wilton stuff is horrible. I have Satin Ice in just about ever color execpt one. Love their black and red - the colors are amazingly true! The darker colors are a little bit softer but I just add some cornstarch or powdered sugar and it stiffens it up a bit. Try Satin Ice while it is still on sale at Globalsugarart it will be worth it. It has a shelf life of one year so even if you don't use it right away you have time to get to it. Good luck!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 13

miasuzzette, Satin Ice is a commercially-sold premade fondant ~ there is no recipe for it. If you want a good recipe to make fondant try this one:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you for all the comments. I will have to try satin ice.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:03am
post #12 of 13

Want a good way to ruin a great tasting cake? Cover it with wilton fondant, ewww!

I use it for inedible things, like red loopy bows, but other than that, satin ice is excellent tasting and easy to use.

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 13

Satin Ice is definitely the way to go! I started off (which was not too long ago) using Wilton because it was easy to get in my area and I was just practicing. Not only is it tough to use it taste gross. I bought my first small bucket of Satin Ice a few weeks ago and I absolutely love using it!

Hi Bossy:

Is Jennifer Dontz's fondant recipe posted on cc's recipes? Or would you be able to post it? I would like to try her fondant. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%