??? About A Cake

Decorating By cassi_g16 Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm by toodlesjupiter

cassi_g16 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 9

I am wanting to do a mickey version of this cake for my sons 3rd b-day. I am wondering if I can use a homeade tootsie roll recipe and dye it black instead of using fondant. I absolutely hate fondant. I have tasted wilton, satin ice and homeade mmf. I just don't like them.

8 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 9

Cute cake! I can't answer your question regarding the tootsie rolls as I've never worked with them, but I have made dark chocolate candy clay and added black candy food coloring to it. The consistency is very nice to work with.

alanahodgson Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 9

MMMM dark chocolate candy clay...mmmmmm. There's really so little fondant on that cake, that it could easily be peeled off for anyone who doesn't care for it, but you might really want to consider the candy clay. so yummy.

cassi_g16 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 9

how do you make candy clay?

cassi_g16 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 9

does it handle like fondant? does it stretch out of shape when moving

matwogirls Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 9

sorry I have no idea I just found recipe and thought you would like it.

angelcakes5 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 9

I was thinking, if you don't like fondant why not just do it all buttercream? I think it could work? I think just outline fill in and then viva it smooth. Then you wouldnt have to worry about using fondant?

toodlesjupiter Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 9

I use Sweet Inspiration black fondant. It tastes kind of like Tootsie rolls, and is very easy to work with. I get mine at my local cake decorating shop. I too hate the taste of all of the fondants you named as well, but this tastes good. Also, for a white fondant that tastes good, you might want to try FondX. It tastes way better than all of those. It blends really well with the flavor of the buttercream. I thought I wasn't going to be able to use fondant, because I didn't like the taste (but loved the look), until I tried that. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%