"where Is Your Deposit?"

Business By Cynita Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 3:39pm by armywifebryan

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 14

Is it ok to call a customer to remind them that their deposit is due?
No deposit = no ingredients purchased, no supplies ordered and that = no cake on your due date. I have never had this problem with deposits, so should I call and ask for the deposit. The deposit was due last week and the cake is due this weekend. I need the deposit to purchase supplies and ingredients; I promised hubby that I will not go into any more personal monies to purchase supplies and/or ingredients. So, now I have to use deposit money or profits to purchase all cake stuff.

Thanks.

13 replies
marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynita

No deposit = no ingredients purchased, no supplies ordered and that = no cake on your due date.

You said it yourself - call them...it is perfectly alright!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 14

Yes, I have sent emails to brides "....per your email attached, you booked your wedding cake with us but our records do not show that your deposit has been paid. Per our Terms of Agreement, your wedding is not scheduled on our calendar until a deposit is rec'd. Please confirm the deposit is on it's way .... otherwise, we will assume you have made other plans for your wedding cake and will consider this order canceled."

That tells them they have one more chance to get it here and it tells them that as of today, I am not planning on being at their wedding with a cake in tow.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 14

My deposits are paid when the order is placed or there is NO ORDER. thumbsdown.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 14

Call and confirm, you can't be shy it is business...

Just suck in your breath and pick up the phone. No money, no cake....period.

Here's to you!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 14

same here...I tell the customer that they arent on the books until a deposit is paid. Even if they send me a signed contract. You need to call them.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 14

my clients understand that until i receive legitimate deposit funds, i don't even pick up the pencil to write them on my schedule. when they pay in full, i put them in pen, and that is required 3 weeks before the actual due date. if they decided to fart around and not manage their time correctly, they pay the price by losing that date and having to go elsewhere.

i love the saying " your crisis does not constitute an emergency for me".

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 14

They could have forgotten because they've been busy with other plans for the event. I'd call today and tell them that because it's so close to the event date, you'll require cash now to confirm their order.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:05am
post #9 of 14

Yes, it is perfectly fine! I have to gently knudge clients all the time. Just call or send an email that says This is just a reminder that to book your date, a deposit of XX is due. Thanks!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:05am
post #10 of 14

This helps alot. I have a similar dilemma with a baby shower cake. The lady who ordered the cake isnt paying for it. Her sister is. So they ordered a $90 cake from me, and I required a $40 deposit. She took the contract I wrote up, and is supposed to be sending me the check. Its been 2 weeks now (after changing her mind 7 times, mind you), and still no check.

The cake is due next weekend, and I am going to send an email this Thursday, to say that if the deposit is not recieved by next Wednesday, I will consider the cake order cancelled. I refuse to go into debt for strangers. I might consider it for a good friend, but not for a stranger. And I am reconsidering the whole 'friend' thing since the last 2 times I have gotten screwed.

It's a business plain and simple...Plus there are waaaaay better things I could be doing with my time, like taking my 5 year old kindergarten school supply shopping!

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:08am
post #11 of 14

I agree, and I like the cash idea. At this point you don't want to wait for the check to clear.
It's business. I assure you every other vendor she will be using either has the deposit already or they are making the same phone.
Good Luck
Tracy

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 14

I too would give them a quick call or email.

I stopped dipping into my personal funds along time ago. No Money = No cake - it's just a matter of business.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 14

I agree just give them a quick call and tell them they need to pay the deposit. If you email them they might say they never recieved it so I would just call to make sure they get the message. And like everyone else said no money=no cake. good luck hope everything works out.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 14

Personally, I wouldn't even do the email. Call!! I know that when I have an event coming up and am running around like a chicken with my head cut off the last thing on my mind is checking my email! Yes, she could be so crazed right now that she totally forgot about the deposit. I would just call her and remind her that money is due or there is no cake.

And by the way mixinvixen, I LOVE that saying!! Never heard it before but I think I need to start using it more often. Especially on the kids!!

Teresa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%