Ack! Need Help With Filling A Cake For The First Time...

Decorating By JenInAZ Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm by JenInAZ

JenInAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenInAZ Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 7

I decided to get fancy and fill my cake for my wilton course tonight with a raspberry mousse filling. I made a dam of stiff buttercream and filled it, but after I put the top layer on it still squished out... Any suggestions? Luckily I have a ton of leftover mousse, so I can start again. I'm thinking maybe I need to a) use a bigger tip to make a thicker dam, b) not put the dam quite to the edge of the cake so the icing squishes out not the filling, and c) not fill with the mousse all the way to the top of the dam. Am I right? I really wanna use it, it's very tasty!

TIA!!!

6 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 7

everything you said is right. Use the largest round tip that you have. Follow everything else you said. Good luck

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 7

I don't use a tip when I make my dam, I just use the coupler and go around mine 2 times so the filling would have to squeeze through 2 rings of icing to escape. woo oo oo oo oo ah ah ah ah ah ah....(evil laugh)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 7

I use a tip 12. You want to do the damn about a 1/4th of an inch in from the edge, and don't fill over the top of the damn. I usually only fill it about 3/4ths the way up the damn.

Traci9130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci9130 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 7

Sounds like you will succeed the next time you fill your cake...Everything you are planning to do sounds right...

JenInAZ Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 7

yay! I have good cake instincts icon_biggrin.gif Gonna go try again... Keep your fingers crossed for me!

JenInAZ Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 7

Second time is a charm! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the help, ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%