How Do You Work With Fresh Flowers?

Decorating By Crumcake Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 4:23am by KimAZ

Crumcake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 9

I'm a newbie at cake decorating and would like to add fresh flowers to a cake I'm making. Is there a safe way to add flowers? Do I need to separate the flowers from touching the cake (somehow?) Or do most people just stick the stems into the cake (seems kind of unsanitary). Any suggestions? If so, can you walk me through the process. Thanks!

8 replies
Petit-four Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 9

Small arrangements can be added using flower pics (Wilton sells these). They are like tiny vases, you can add a small amount of water to them, and push them into the cake.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E312C10-475A-BAC0-5D34A3D6D0BDDF27&fid=3E331274-475A-BAC0-5041EF53F94DDB26

Drawbacks: someone could splash water on the cake when cutting it, if they don't know. Also, you can't use a whole lot of flowers (tiny vase) and the more pics you use, the more you 'mush" up your cake. You are correct in that fresh flowers should not directly touch a cake, unless you know they are non-toxic and not sprayed with pesticides. Most commercial florist-grade flowers have been treated with pesticides.

For larger arrangements, I'd suggest using floral foam (oasis) which is soaked in water, and if done properly, does not drip. This, of course, never touches the cake, but can be used between tiers using the two-plate method, and small plastic saucer to hold the flowers.

If you look at my photos, you can see some examples.

I hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Crumcake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #3 of 9

Thank you for your suggestions. Your cakes are beautiful and the pictures were very helpful. If anyone knows where to find these "picks" please let me know. I went to Michaels and they didn't have them.

Petit-four Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 9

Thank you, Crumcake... icon_smile.gif

I found the picks at JoAnn fabrics (they weren't at Michael's)... you could also order them online from Wilton, or perhaps find them at a local cake shop.

Wilton also sells a small bowl for arranging flowers, but I usually use the bottom of a plastic water bottle (cut about 1/2 " high) or other food-safe container. Be sure to use oasis (soaked floral foam) and the flowers will stay fresh for days.

PM (Private message) me anytime if you'd like more suggestions. I work with a local florist to do the cake flowers, I can ask them if there's something I've not come across. thumbs_up.gif

terrylee Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #5 of 9

You know what works good for me and is very inexpensive....are the plastic champane glasses, the ones you buy by the dozen and the bottom piece is separate. I use them for cake toppers. Put a piece of wet oasis in it and use clear floral tape to secure it, add your flowers and you can just push the stem (which is kinda pointed) into the cake. look at my cakes.

Nothing touches the cake and the flowers stay fresh. Put the little foot at the botton and you can use it as a stand to arrange your flowers.

Petit-four Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 9

That's a great idea terrylee!

johnson6ofus Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:07pm
post #7 of 9

terrylee gets 10 points for that cool tip- very creative, and cheap-wow.

Crumcake Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #8 of 9

I LOVE the champagne cup idea. I'm sure I have some of these already. As a newbie, it's so great to have this forum -- it's inspiring (and somewhat intimidating) to see everyone's wonderful work. Thanks for the help.

KimAZ Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:23am
post #9 of 9

You can also insert the flower stems into plastic drinking straws with are inserted directly in the cake. Or another method is to wrap the stems with plastic wrap before inserting in the cake.

KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%