Smallest Topsy Turvey

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm by tamivo

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 8

what is the smallest topsy turvey cake you would or have made? Im thinking the bottom layer needs to be at least 8" across the bottom to keep it stable and stop it from topling. so im just curious what you all would suggest to be the smallest size possible. it can be 2 or 3 tiers.
TIA

7 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 8

I'm glad you asked, I want to make a small one as well. What about an 8, 6, and 3 or 4?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 8

The smallest I made was an 8 inch bottom and a 3 inch top. It was adorable!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 8

This was whimsical rather than strictly topsy turvey (but had I sliced and inverted the top cakes at an angle it would have been!).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1243319.html

It is a 4 & 5in on the top (6in deep total), and a 6 & 7in on the bottom (5in deep tier). I made this for my friend and served it, the top served 12 decent sized pieces, and the bottom 20 pieces - so 32 altogether. I reckon it would serve anywhere from 28-40. Hope that helps!

SANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANZ Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 8

There was a company from Florida at the Westminster Cake Show, that was selling miniture topsy turvy cake pans. They are way smaller then the ones you are talking about. I don't have the name with me but have a flyer at home and can post the name later if interested.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 8

I stopped at that vendor's booth as well in Westminster. The pans you were talking about were super, super small!!! icon_eek.gif I don't have the vendor's name since I threw the pamphlet out after attending Carrie's class and she discouraged the pans since they bake uneven --- but I'm thinking the altitude in Utah may have an effect on that. If you have the vendor's info, please post as I was interested in purchasing the larger pans. Thanks!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 8

I made an 8, 6 and a four..looked really cute. But the smaller they are the more unstable they can get cause there is not a lot of weight on the upper tiers.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1165039
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tamivo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamivo Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 8

I too made an 8" 6" and 4" and it was quite adoreable.... a little ha-do cake as my mil used to say icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1227005

the little 4" was a bear to get on without flipping it into the air but it is possible!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%