Bridal Show Door Prizes

Business By sassycleo Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 7:56am by CoutureCake

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 6

How do those who participate in bridal shows handle the "required" door prizes?

For example one I was looking at doing in a couple months is requiring two door prizes valued at at least $25.

Do you do gift certificates for certain amounts? How many give away a full wedding cake? Do you give away items dealing with cake like the cake server and knife sets?

I need some ideas on how to handle this .

Thanks!

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there! Don't give away a cake because then you'll have people calling to get a cake the wekend that you were plannign on taking a vacation and being out of town. That will just make them mad...Either do a $25 off of your total purchase certificate, or the gift like the cake knife that they can take with them. I've given away cake pans and baking accessories before. Half the time they don't even come to claim them, so you can either hang onto them for the next show or use them yourself.

Come to think of them, the $25 off the total purchase price would be best financially, because a lot of times people don't redeem certificates, so it won't result in any cash outlay for you to begin with.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 6

I donate cookie bouquets. It's pretty, unique and gives them something to eat on the way home!! Lots more fun than gift certificates and ring bearer pillows! thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 6

That's a good idea!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 6

I also give an amount off on a cake....and I have in the certicate VERY clear guide lines: Only redemable if date is available, two weeks notice required, delivery and taxes not included, expiration date, etc...That way you dont get a cake request at the last minute or a date you don't have opened.

I like the idea of the cake knife or a cake set or something like that!! That is a cool idea!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:56am
post #6 of 6

The one bridal show I did, they required a door prize valued at $75... I just baked a 10" cake, covered it in fondant, then added some heart cutouts to it... Gave it away that day with my name on the box (knowing they're going to end up taking it into work so it'll be for advertising)

Honestly, when it comes to bridal shows, brides are there either for the free food or they want to get the certificate for the DJ or tux place. If there's a cover charge, they expect each and every food vendor there to give them their money's worth icon_mad.gif ...

I'd bake a couple 6" no-frills table cakes, use them as your displays on the table for the table cake trend... Then give them away as your doorprizes. That or "Free delivery and setup of the cake within so many miles of your site"... "Free anniversary tier - with terms and conditions that it doesn't include sugarpaste work, just frosted to match the rest of the cake's design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%