I have a few questions regarding cupcakes:
1. Like regular cake, is it NOT necessary to refrigerate them if NO filling is added and ONLY buttercream frosting is used?
2. If I fill it with buttercream, does it need to be refrigerated? (I'm guessing the answer is no, but I just want to be sure)
3. If I do fill it with something that has to be refrigerated (i.e. pudding), what is the maximum time it should be spent in the refrig. before the cake gets dry or other problems arise?
4. If buttercream frosted cupcakes are not refrigerated, can they just sit out on the counter or should they be in Tupperware?
5. Lastly, if I did refrigerate the pudding filled cupcakes do you store them in Tupperware while in the refrig.?
** Oops, sorry...one more question: Do you recommend frosting the pudding filled cupcakes BEFORE putting them in the refrig? Or is it better to refrigerate them UNFROSTED?
Thanks so much for your help!
If you are just using buttercream then they don't have to be refrigerated. If using pudding, then yes. In both cases I would place them in a covered container to store. If you are making cupcakes that will be eaten the day you make them, then they can sit out on the counter uncovered if just buttercream icing. I like to ice my cupcakes when they have cooled because I find them to be more moist- I don't like to store them and ice several days later- they just aren't as good.