What Cake Boards Can I Use?

Decorating By lori83179 Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 3:02pm by thecakemaker

lori83179 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 8

I'm hoping to get some advice because i'm not sure what to do. I'm doing a wedding cake and the bride found this picture and would like something like it as her wedding cake.
My question is for the top and middle layer what kind of cake board should I use (because I will be using clear push pillars for support) Do I use the white plastic cake boards....and just put the cakes directly on that (or do I need a cardboard on top of the plastic board?)
Michaels has these silver covered thick boards that the bride likes...but I dont know how I could use those and still support the pillars??

7 replies
Niki027 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 8

That is a really pretty cake.

I think you could put it on the plastic, but I'm not sure.

ntertayneme Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 8

From the picture, it appears to be pillar supported between the layers ... if that is the system used, you'd need a very sturdy bottom board, such as a plywood or a cake drum.. the next level would need 2 cake plates the same size as the cake on the second tier.. one would go on top of the bottom tier w/dowels or plastic dowels (the one I use and prefer) to support the weight.. your second tier would need 2 cake plates the size of your top tier; one sitting on top of the middle tier and the other on top of your pillars with a cake plate on top of them to hold your top tier...

you could also use push in pillars too .. which would mean you'd only need 2 cake plates .. one for the middle tier and one for the top tier...

Hope this helps and I haven't confused you more lol

thecakemaker Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 8

The bottom is a cake drum. For the other tiers I would use the clear acrylic/plastic separater plates. Here's a link to the wilton ones. They won't be obvious.


Hope this helps!


smileyface Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 8

Are the clear push in pillars you have Wilton. I think they have two kinds. Crystal clear spikes & the twisted ones. I have the crystal clear spike ones and they had a clear plate that goes with them. I think the twisted clear push ones had white plastic plates that go with them. As far as I know you don't need any cardboard under the plastic plates. You can use thick cardboard from Michaels on the bottom or a plastic plate.

Hope that helps!

llj68 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 8

I use the white ones because that is all I have. I would prefer clear. Also--for the top tier, if it's being saved for the bride & groom, I board that one on a cake circle and then place it on the plate, using icing as "glue". That way, I can get my cake plate back.


lori83179 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 8

I never knew their were crystal clear plates -- Thank you so much for including that web site link.

thecakemaker Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 8

You're welcome!


Quote by @%username% on %date%