Sugarshack's Bc Questions

Baking By ThreeDGirlie Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm by fbgirl00

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 6

I am planning to try Sugarshack's BC next week, and I have a few questions:

I am a little concerned since I will be using Crisco on this first go-around (I have about 7 pounds of it, so I really can't justify buying hi-ratio until it's gone, LOL!). If you use Crisco, do you find that you use less liquid? If so, about how much total liquid in the 5 Qt mixer recipe? If it's too liquidy at the end, do you just add more PS?

It makes a lot of frosting - I will use this to decorate 2 cakes in a week. What do you do to get the remaining BC ready for the second cake. Since it won't fill the mixer any longer, I assume it's ok to just stir it with a wooden spoon???

And finally... Does anybody use flavored coffee creamer powder? I was thinking using French Vanilla for an added flavor boost. I'll just be using Butter-Vanilla as my flavoring, so I assume it will taste pretty much like my old all-shortening BC, just (hopefully) have a different, smoother consistency using SS's method...

Any advice would be great. Since this makes so much BC, I don't want to "mess it up". Thanks!

5 replies
fbgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbgirl00 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 6

I just made SugarShack's BC last week for the first time. I used crisco because we don't have the hi-ratio stuff here. I also used french vanilla powdered creamer mixed with hot water and a mixture of vanilla, butter and almond flavors. I mixed it like she does on the you tube video and I was not sure about the texture of it when it was in the mixer, it looked too soft but when I started to ice the cake it smoothed like a dream and it crusted perfectly, I was able to use the Viva papertowels to make it smooth. It also tasted great, my husband and kids really like it. I found my new favorite BC!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 6

Sweet!

So did you use the full amount of liquid from the video, then? I think it's 4 T flavor and then 8 T hot creamer liquid, right. And what ratio of butter, vanilla and almond did you use?

Thanks!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 6

fbgirl00,
Did you use 0 trans fat crisco? Did you have to use less liquid?

allissweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allissweets Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #5 of 6

ThreeD Girlie, I do use the full amount of liquid as called for in Sharon's recipe. I use 4TB flavoring - 1TB each of clear vanilla, almond, butter extracts, and 1TB of Wedding Bouquet (that stuff's too strong for my taste to use anymore than that). I then use 11-12 TB of hot plain coffee creamer, and the icing comes out perfect every time. I do use the hi-ratio shortening, however. I don't know if that makes a difference. It's been a LOOONG time since I've used Crisco!

fbgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fbgirl00 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 6

I used the 0 trans fat Crisco, 2 T of Vanilla, 1 T of Butter flavor and 1 T of Almond extract. I used about 14 T of the creamer, almost the full cup. I used 4 cups of Crisco and about 4 1/2 lbs. of powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%