Whip Cream Frosting

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm by megankennedy

paulstonia Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:47am
post #1 of 11

I'm making a cake for my parent 45 wedding anniversary and would like to use whip cream frosting. I have a recipe for stabalized whip cream frosting, I just have a couple of questions. What should I use and the damn to hold in filling ( usually use stiff buttercream ) and do I crumb coat it and if so do I use a thin layer of buttercream. Their anniversary is next weekend, so thanks for the help......

10 replies
maryak Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:08am
post #2 of 11

I don't normally crumb coat if it's whipped cream, I just put a lot on. With the filling i don't put the cream right to the edges because, as you put the top layer out, it will spread it out to the edges. HTH

paulstonia Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 11

I'm going to use a lemon curd filling and I don't want it to seep out.

norma20 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 11

I also use a large amount of stabilized whipped cream when frosting cakes.
There's no need for crumbcoating before frosting and also in this case, no dam. Just don't put much lemon curd filling. It's going to be a deliciously light and refreshing cake.
Don't forget to keep it refrigerated all the time.

Furlik Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 11

I am very new to this site and LOVE IT!

Although, not sure I am experienced enough to comment on your question but was wondering if you could post your recipe for the stabilized whipped cream topping. I would like to offer my clients a choice of a somewhat less sweeter icing than regular buttercream

thanks a bunch

norma20 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 11

2 cups heavy cream
6 TBS sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp colorless/flavorless gelatin
1 TBS water

Beat cream and sugar until you see soft peaks. Add the vanilla, beat a little more and add the dissolved gelatin. Beat a little more.

That amount of gelatine is what I use.
If you want it a little more firm, for every cup of heavy cream, use 1 tsp unflavored gelatin dissolved in 2 TBS cold water. Let the gelatin bloom for 3-5 minutes, heat the gelatin until melted, cool it a little. Whip the cream with sugar until soft peaks form (Chantilly stage), then slowly add the gelatin while hand-whisking until stiff.

Furlik Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 11

thank you so very much for the quick reply.

I will certainly try it

paulstonia Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 11

My recipe is the same except I disolve the gelatin in 14 cup of the whipping cream ( unwhipped) over simmering water and then fold that into the already whipped cream

paulstonia Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 11

Oh, and thanks so much for the advice icon_biggrin.gif

G-Rho Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 11

does this taste/resemble bettercream?

megankennedy Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 11

I'd like to know that as well, is it similar to bettercream? or pastry pride?

thanks guys...I'm looking for a frosting option similar to those w/o all the "bad" stuff like partially hydrogenated and corn syrup and...etc

Quote by @%username% on %date%