Fondant On Wire Decorations

Decorating By summerolivia Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 4:39am by bizatchgirl

summerolivia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerolivia Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #1 of 4

I have seen pictures on here where people have decorated their cakes with fondant decorations such as stars or flower cutouts on wire sticking up out of the cake. I am wanting to do that with stars on my daughter's birthday cake this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to do this type of decoration? How to attach the fondant to the wire.

3 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #2 of 4

first get your wires ready by making a little "u" hook at the end of the wire by bending it with small pliers or by hand, depending on the wire. if you roll the gumpaste/fondant thin enough, they won't weigh alot and the medium/thin wire will do.
Use a 50/50 mixture of fondant and gumpaste. Roll it out thinly, then cut the design with a cutter. I mostly use 2 pieces for one stem. If you are making stars, cut double of what you need. Lay one star upside down, lightly brush the entire one side of the star with a little gum glue or egg white, or even water, lay the hooked part of the wire in the middle of the star, lay the other star on top of it, press lightly, then dry for at least 2 days. You can luster dust it when dry if you want.

Have fun!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #3 of 4

They also have at the craft stores a lightweight sculpty clay that feels like air it's so light. You can use that also and paint it any color. I bought some but haven't tried it yet. It's kinda expensive but use a Michael's coupon.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:39am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tip of drying for 2 days. I didn't do that and mine kept sliding the whole time icon_mad.gif I've also heard you can heat the wire then stick it into the fondant and it will hold well. Maybe for thicker shapes like balls. I hope to try that one soon too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%