Need Advice Re: Set Up Costs

Decorating By maryak Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 4:40am by maryak

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:10am
post #1 of 5

I delivered my first real delivery and set up for a customer I've never met the other day. It was 60 cupcakes and my cake stand (which I made as per antonia74's instructions). I spent 1 hour setting these cupcakes and decorations in place. My back was aching from the whole thing. I charged her $50 for rental of the stand which I am fully refunding when she brings it back tonight. I didn't charge her anything for the set up cost. I was wondering if you guys actually charged a rate for rental of stands that you didn't fully reimburse and if you charged for a set up fee. It seems like a lot of work for nothing.

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #2 of 5

You betcha. I charge a rental and a deposit on stands. Rental I keep deposit I return IF the stand is returned in perfet condition. Not always the case. I also charge a delivery charge, geneally about $50 to cover my gas and time.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #3 of 5

I charge deposit and rental too. Most (metal) plateaus are $150 deposit, $25 weekly rental. My tall tier stand is $60/10. Those stands will only go thru so many washings so charging something each time helps pay for the eventual replacement. I currently don't charge for wedding delivery and set up in town and $15 for non-wedding delivery. I may have to change that with the price of gas.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #4 of 5

If you're giving ALL the money back, it's not a rental fee, it's a deposit to insure the safe return of your equipment.

I don't charge a set-up fee.... I charge more for cupcakes than I do for wedding cakes because of the extra time it takes to set them up. So my "set-up fee" is built into the higher cost of the cupcake.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much guys. I am only starting to dabble in "real" customer, I.e. people who aren't family or friends, so it's all a little confusing. I thought I was selling myself a little short so I guess I'm gonna have to take another look at my pricing structure.

Thanks again icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%