Criss Cut Lines On Cake

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm by ceshell

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 36

How do you get those diagonal lines on fondant and buttercream?

35 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 36

Do you mean the diamond look, like on this one? http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/2523486748/

There is a mat you can use to press the pattern into the fondant and BC. On the cake in the above link, I just use dowel rods and pressed them into the icing, just eye-balling it on where it should be pressed.

If you mean the lines on top of a cake to show people where to cut, you can use the same processes.

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 36

If it's the diamond pattern you mean, you can get the impression mats at Earlene's cakes here, http://www.earlenescakes.com/store/impression_tools.html

HTH
Mary

dcabrera Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 36

Yes, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

maryg083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryg083 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 36

I need to invest in a mat as well! I wasn't able to find one in time for the cake I did yesterday and I someon on CC suggested to me to use a right angle triangle which worked out GREAT! I used my wilton fondant cutter to make the impressions a little deeper to make it a little puffy. There is a picture in my profile using this method. Tried to make an attachment for you, but it was too big thumbsdown.gif

dcabrera Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:03am
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryg083

I need to invest in a mat as well! I wasn't able to find one in time for the cake I did yesterday and I someon on CC suggested to me to use a right angle triangle which worked out GREAT! I used my wilton fondant cutter to make the impressions a little deeper to make it a little puffy. There is a picture in my profile using this method. Tried to make an attachment for you, but it was too big thumbsdown.gif

It looks really good. Just one question.. How do you make this silver dots that go in between the diamons? Are they tinted buttercream?

maryg083 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:03am
post #7 of 36

The silver dots are silver dragees. The size is 4mm- they come in all kinds of sizes and colors. They are very inexpensive- i buy them for less than $1 a bag and I didn't nearly use 1/4 of them!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Quote:

someone on CC suggested to me to use a right angle triangle

This is the method I prefer because then I can make the diamonds any size I like without having to have all different mats.

dcabrera Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:00am
post #9 of 36

Where do you buy dragees? Can you buy them at Michaels?

maryg083 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:24am
post #10 of 36

I'm not sure, but you they may. I went to AC moore because they used to carry them, but they no longer had them. It's worth a sho though- I would call them first to save yourself a trip in the event they do not have them- they're usually pretty helpful with that.

dcabrera Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:35am
post #11 of 36

Guess what! Dragees have been banned in California. My Wilton instructor just told me icon_sad.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 36

We use the grid on buttercream, however the flat mat is difficult to bend around some smaller cakes, any suggestions on using the mat easier and lining it up in back of cake?

we make our own pearls with fondant and super pearl dust.

non toxic and noone will chip a tooth on the hard silver balls.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:03pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

Guess what! Dragees have been banned in California. My Wilton instructor just told me icon_sad.gif

what? why???? and I bought dragees on amazon

dcabrera Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #14 of 36

she said they weren't fda approved and that the mercury level was too high. I guess a 10 yr old boy had some sort of reaction to them, his parents filed a lawsuit and had them band in Cali. She said something about him eating a ton of them. I really don't know the story. I'm just going buy what she told me.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 36

I'm thinking the CA ban is only on the metallic ones, and not the pearl ones. However, I could be totally wrong.

Even if you try to order online, places won't sell them or ship them to CA.

Anybody else know?

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 36

I thought they lifted the ban here about a year ago. I may be able to look this week. Get back to me because I may forget . You can cut your mat smaller to get it around the smaller cakes.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #17 of 36

Don't try to bend the impression mat around the cake. After your buttercream has crusted, hold the mat against the cake with one hand and rub up and down as you go around, but don't rub the last inch or you'll imprint the edge of the mat. Then just realign it and repeat. It will never line up evenly from where you started so just make sure you start at the back of your cake. I saw this demonstrated by sugarshack in her "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" DVD.
Good luck!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #18 of 36

I live in So. CA and I buy dragees in my local cake supply store all of the time. They just have a little sticker that says non-edible now to cover their a$$.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 6:53pm
post #19 of 36

how do you attach them unto a cake. I would think that buttercream just sticks to them, but how would you attach the dragees unto a fondant covered cake?

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 36

A dot of royal icing would work.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #21 of 36

thanks for the advice. it would have to be a really teeny tiny dot so it wouldn't show. right?

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #22 of 36

I'm in CA & have also heard of the ban, so I'm not longer "wasting" the ones I have in stock. One other thing about dragees though - there is always "one guest" who will bite one wrong or complain about them... I made a beautiful cake for my Uncle & one of his guests said she almost broke a tooth. (was she using her "buckers"? ha ha!)... these are not THAT hard! It's sugar! so anyway, I always use BC now... but if you wanted perfect little dots, maybe you should take the time to use fondant for that part? I just encircled a 3-tier wedding cake with fondant "dots" & I sure wish I would have done it in BC! =)

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by malishka

how do you attach them unto a cake. I would think that buttercream just sticks to them, but how would you attach the dragees unto a fondant covered cake?

gum glue works the best and you don't have to worry about it showing. I used butercream the 1st time I used them and 1/2 of them fell off! royal icing would porbably work too, but you have to worry about it showing if you use too much. Try the gum glue (gumpaste dissolved in water)

dcabrera Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:23am
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybuglau

Quote:

gum glue works the best and you don't have to worry about it showing. I used butercream the 1st time I used them and 1/2 of them fell off! royal icing would porbably work too, but you have to worry about it showing if you use too much. Try the gum glue (gumpaste dissolved in water)

Do you mean wiltons gum tex disolved in water? Or the actual gumpaste broken apart in water? I just bought the gumtex and I'm thinking of returning it. The pre packaged stuff seems easier.

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:41am
post #25 of 36

To attatch I use a #1 tip on a pastry bag with piping gel. Haven't had any fall off yet!'
Oh and you can get them from GlobalSugarArt...all sizes and colors!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:54am
post #26 of 36

why not just make your own? They arent hard to do...(there was a tutiorial on here somewhere...dont know if it still here or not..using a number 10 tip to cut them out and roll them up and then put them in luster dust...)

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #27 of 36
Quote:

I use clear piping gel...put a small dot with like a number 1 or 2 tip. Works great!

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:17am
post #28 of 36

Just a suggestion for those in california who can't get dragees. How about using that button candy that comes on those strips of paper. U know, the old fashion dot candy that is multi colored. I thing you could probably cover them in a dark color then use luster dust to paint them to make them seem matalic. And the are flat on the buttom, so they would go on the cake a lot easier. But I guess if you where going to do that you might as well make dots on paper with royal frosting let them dry hard and cover them with luster dust. These seems like fewer steps. Personally, I would not want to make my own drangees, that seems like it would be really time consuming.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:10am
post #29 of 36

I don't get a lot of customers asking for dragees (in CA), so if I do, I'll probably just let them know they've been "outlawed" & I can use an alternate medium to obtain a similar look - even BC dots as long as they didn't have to be metallic looking, however you could always go over them with a brush of luster dust as well... I cannot STAND the people (especially in CA!) who are always sueing... so I read that they're outlawed because a kid ate too many & had a reaction? I haven't looked it up, but I bet his tongue was silver for a couple of days, or he was very hyper from all the sugar - so, control your child? I'm sorry if it was a lot worse of a reaction, however I still feel there needs to be parental control. I believe my bottle had a disclaimer regarding the metallic substance used.

dcabrera Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCakes

I don't get a lot of customers asking for dragees (in CA), so if I do, I'll probably just let them know they've been "outlawed" & I can use an alternate medium to obtain a similar look - even BC dots as long as they didn't have to be metallic looking, however you could always go over them with a brush of as well... I cannot STAND the people (especially in CA!) who are always sueing... so I read that they're outlawed because a kid ate too many & had a reaction? I haven't looked it up, but I bet his tongue was silver for a couple of days, or he was very hyper from all the sugar - so, control your child? I'm sorry if it was a lot worse of a reaction, however I still feel there needs to be parental control. I believe my bottle had a disclaimer regarding the metallic substance used.

Well said OCakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%