Need Help W/wonder Mold Asap

Decorating By elisa2801 Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 6:32am by OCakes

elisa2801 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 9

Need help w/wonder mold, first time using it. My cake is not cooking from the center icon_cry.gif ,Top,edges ,sides are browning too much. Baked 2nd cake on lower temp (325) still came out the same icon_cry.gif What am I doing wrong?
Should I lower the oven rack(set it in the middle as instructed,did notice the top of oven is pretty close to cake top).OR should I maybe put a piece of foil on top so it doesn't over bake ? icon_confused.gif
Someone please help I need this cake for Saturday 7/26

8 replies
Tug Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 9

Try putting a flower nail in the bottom center. This will help conduct the heat evenly in the center. It works for me.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 9

Are you speaking of the Barbie wonder mold pan?? It comes with a heating rod for the center. I just followed Wilton's instructions and it worked out fine.

Here is the Wilton page for pan instructions: http://www.wilton.com/cake/shapedpans/pansearch/index.cfm

Good luck!!

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

Are you speaking of the Barbie wonder mold pan?? It comes with a heating rod for the center. I just followed Wilton's instructions and it worked out fine.

Here is the Wilton page for pan instructions: http://www.wilton.com/cake/shapedpans/pansearch/index.cfm

Good luck!!

me, too. Definitely reduce the heat in the oven.

bathoryjones Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 9

if you have the center rod in it should bake fine. May want to move it the lowest rack in your oven as well to avoid your edges from burning. It may help to use bake even strips if you have them to make the center cook more evenly.

elisa2801 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:06am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

Good luck!!

That is the pan I speak of. I am using the heating rod it came with. Maybe I need to lower the oven rack to a lower position,I just didn't know if I should do that, in the instructions it says to bake in the middle rack icon_confused.gif
Thanks ELISA

FrostinGal Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #7 of 9

Can you wrap your wonder mold in a wet cotton kitchen towel and secure it with T-pins or safety pins? That should help. You may need to cut the towel to get the right fit.
If all else fails, make four 8" round cakes and use a sharp serrated knife to carve out the shape.
Let us know what happens.

elisa2801 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:15am
post #8 of 9

Thank you all CC members .I will try everyones advice icon_wink.gif
Iwill let you all know how it went. Wish me luck.
ELISA

OCakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:32am
post #9 of 9

I have that pan & always lower to the rack below center since it's a tall pan. Definitely use that heating rod it comes with - and if you still have trouble, consider baking less cake in the mold, then bake round cakes to give the height you desire - you will have to trim the edges - I have done this after stacking & just keep the knife at the same angle by positioning it on the wonder mold cake... I made a HUGE "hill" for my husband's 40th that way. I hope lowering the rack works for you though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%