Metal Vs Plastic Cookie Cutters

Baking By kutabby Updated 23 Jul 2008 , 1:56am by Zamode

kutabby Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 10

I was just wondering what everyone used. I personally prefer plastic. Mainly b/c baking is usually such a luxury for me that by the time I'm done I've got 2 kids tugging at my pants for attention. So, I do general clean up and toss the cutters and most everything else in the sink till later. Plus, they just don't go through the dishwasher well - they always end up rusting. Is there any way to get rid of the rust, instead of just throwing them away?

9 replies
Homemade-Goodies Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 10

I prefer plastic as well, for the clean-up reasons...and that after cutting a trillion cookies with metal cutters my hands are wrecked! The plastic have neat little flat edges which makes it less painful! 8-(

Tug Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 10

For me, the metal ones are better. I feel they give a crisper, cleaner cut. I wash mine and lay them on a cookie sheet in the oven after I'm done baking the cookies. The leftover heat (oven turned off), dries the cutters so no rust problems.

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 10

I prefer the metal for the cleaner cut and I find them easier to clean than plastic. I think they last longer (less likely to break). Never ran into a rusting problem with them.

maryak Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 10

Personally it depends on my budget. I think they both give a great result and I normally wash them straight away because I now have the luxury of not having kids dangling off my arms! icon_lol.gif My kids are old enough to leave me alone when baking!!

I think the plastic ones are cheaper and give the same result, but I do agree with indydebi with the clean crisp lines, especially for the smaller details. I think the little areas tend to get stuck in the plastic cutters.

tonedna Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:00am
post #6 of 10

I think the edges of the metal ones are so nice and crisp!.. But I will use whatever I find!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 10

I haven't been able to find any plastic cutters besides about five or six basic shapes at the craft store. Do they make plastic cutters in all the wonderful shapes we can get metal ones in?

Homemade-Goodies Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 10

No, if you want more detailed, intricate designs you'll need metal. Agreed, the plastic won't give you a good performance with the small details.

Afterezra Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 10

I prefer metal, because the kids think plastic cutters = play-doh toys. icon_smile.gif

Zamode Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #10 of 10

Metal, hands down!

Quote by @%username% on %date%