Fondant/clay 3D Figures And White Gloves

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm by Jannie92869

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 10

I am currently practicing to start making fondant 3D figures. I am practicing with sculpey clay and my question is....

When modeling the figures do you wear gloves? I was thinking of wearing a pair of white gloves to alleviate getting my fingerprint or nail print impression on the figure.

Any ideas?

9 replies
Jannie92869 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 10

White gloves or the wilton decorator gloves? White....might leave lint pieces?

Any ideas?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 10

I don't wear gloves when modeling figures, I just keep my hands really clean and wash a lot. If your fingernails are kept short (which is required where I live if you work with food) you shouldn't have an issue with fingernail marks in the fondant, and it's harder than you might suspect to put a fingerprint in fondant. You should be okay without the gloves.

Deanna

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 10

I think you will find it too hard to shape small pieces if you are wearing gloves. Just wash hands really well and cut nails short!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 10

I buy the purple latex gloves from Wal-Mart. I use them all the time - especially when I'm coloring fondant and gumpaste - the color washes right off of them so I can do all the colors and not have hands that look like easter eggs.

I always use them for clay and figure modeling as well. I like to coat my hands with lotion before I put them on, and when I'm done, my hands are nice and soft.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 10

I love my Sam's Club 'Nitrile' medical exam gloves -- non LATEX -- very important for edibles!!! I use them for tinting fondant, mixing dough by hand... luv em!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 10

I have worked in health care for a long time and am starting to get a latex allergy (can develop after a lot of latex exposure.) Soooo.... I can't wear any kind of latex glove. icon_sad.gif

I wonder if the latex can also get into the food products as well...? (Not sure; just asking.) My allergy is fairly mild at this point but I know some people have a very severe reaction to it.

Jannie92869 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:19am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for your replies! Keep them coming!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #9 of 10

I keep my hands and all surfaces clean, I have very short nails, so they are always clean.

You just can't get the feel of the fondant when working with gloves, even when I'm rolling for a cake....Clean, Clean and cleaner. I have tried a snug fitting glove....but it's a no also.

Jannie92869 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you for all your responses! The answer seems to be shorter nails and no gloves at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%