Fondant/clay 3D Figures And White Gloves

Decorating By Jannie92869 Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm by Jannie92869

Jannie92869 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 10

I am currently practicing to start making fondant 3D figures. I am practicing with sculpey clay and my question is....

When modeling the figures do you wear gloves? I was thinking of wearing a pair of white gloves to alleviate getting my fingerprint or nail print impression on the figure.

Any ideas?

9 replies
Jannie92869 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 10

White gloves or the wilton decorator gloves? White....might leave lint pieces?

Any ideas?

TooMuchCake Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 10

I don't wear gloves when modeling figures, I just keep my hands really clean and wash a lot. If your fingernails are kept short (which is required where I live if you work with food) you shouldn't have an issue with fingernail marks in the fondant, and it's harder than you might suspect to put a fingerprint in fondant. You should be okay without the gloves.

Deanna

Price Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 10

I think you will find it too hard to shape small pieces if you are wearing gloves. Just wash hands really well and cut nails short!

BrandisBaked Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 10

I buy the purple latex gloves from Wal-Mart. I use them all the time - especially when I'm coloring fondant and gumpaste - the color washes right off of them so I can do all the colors and not have hands that look like easter eggs.

I always use them for clay and figure modeling as well. I like to coat my hands with lotion before I put them on, and when I'm done, my hands are nice and soft.

lizamlin Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 10

I love my Sam's Club 'Nitrile' medical exam gloves -- non LATEX -- very important for edibles!!! I use them for tinting fondant, mixing dough by hand... luv em!

endymion Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 10

I have worked in health care for a long time and am starting to get a latex allergy (can develop after a lot of latex exposure.) Soooo.... I can't wear any kind of latex glove. icon_sad.gif

I wonder if the latex can also get into the food products as well...? (Not sure; just asking.) My allergy is fairly mild at this point but I know some people have a very severe reaction to it.

Jannie92869 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:19am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for your replies! Keep them coming!

terrylee Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #9 of 10

I keep my hands and all surfaces clean, I have very short nails, so they are always clean.

You just can't get the feel of the fondant when working with gloves, even when I'm rolling for a cake....Clean, Clean and cleaner. I have tried a snug fitting glove....but it's a no also.

Jannie92869 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you for all your responses! The answer seems to be shorter nails and no gloves at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%