Why Is The Bottom Edge Puckering?

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm by aswartzw

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 6

I made this cake for my Fondant class and I was disappointed that my instructor couldn't tell me why my fondant puckered on the bottom. Is there a trick to making the edge smooth?
LL

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 6

You may have rolled it too thin. I have that problem sometimes and I think that's usually what causes it for me.

We're not the only ones who ever have fondant pucker icon_biggrin.gif Have you noticed that a lot of fondant cakes have a ribbon around the base, or a border of rolled balls? Sometimes that's just because it's the style...but I have a feeling the style was created to hide the pucker icon_biggrin.gif You probably could have arranged the drapes on the top to cover any puckers.

By the way, that's a pretty cake, very nice design. You did a great job of photographing it too.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 6

alot of times the puckering is from rushing to get the fondant on to the cake, yes its harder to smooth on a thinner piece of fondant and it will happen more with that, Also, when smoothing the fondant on to the cake you need to ease the fondant down the side of the cake and not pull it.

And of course when all else fails as was stated already hide it!!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 6

When I first started I didn't know how to get rid of the puckers either. After watching these two videos I now know how to avoid it. Watch how these decorators sort of fluff and smooth, fluff and smooth the fondant as they smooth the sides. By pulling the icing out away from the cake and smoothing it down you avoid these puckers.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much for your replies and your suggestions!! The videos will be a great help and I'll try the techniques as I have to do another fondant cake next week.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 6

Also, I always take my cake with cake board cut to the cake size and stack it on something (crisco can, etc.) so the fondant doesn't rest on anything but hangs. Then I fluff and smooth, fluff and smooth. Once I started fluffing my fondant looked so much better! Once smooth, take a knife or scissors and snip off the excess fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%