Lady Bug Mini Cakes

Decorating By TinTN Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 5:54pm by Niki027

TinTN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinTN Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 9

I love looking at all the beautiful cookies you guys do. Can you share tips, tricks, favorite recipes with me? Is the frosting just basic royal icing like you use for violets and pansies on cakes or is there something different about it?
We're having a band boosters bake sale in a couple of weeks and I thought it would be fun to do some iced/shaped cookies.

Thanks!

8 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 9

Hi TinTN! I'm just about to do a big article on this, so I'm glad there's lots of questions out there! Go to www.kitchengifts.com. Their home page has a link for "How to Decorate Cookies" that is really easy to understand because it is step-by-step with photos and recipes.

I hope to have an article by the first week of September for you too!

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 9

For cookie decorating I use Toba Garrett's glace' icing. It comes out really shiny, dries hard but not super hard like the basic royal icing that you make flowers out of. I outline the cookies with this recipe in stiff and then fill in with this recipe. To make this recipe stiff you just add a tablespoon or so of extra confectioners sugar.

1 lb. confectioners' sugar
3/8 cup milk
3/8 cup light corn syrup
flavoring as desired

In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined.
Divide to flavor and add color.

Hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

TinTN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinTN Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks to both of you! I'll definitely check out the article antonia and I'll be watching for your article as well.
Do either of you use a specific cookie recipe?

Saborita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saborita Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 9

Hi Tin :

If you visit kitchegifts.com you find besides the procedure decorating cookies many recipes.

I use "non fail recipe" but this is just one of many you can find there.

Saborita.

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 9

I use the Wilton Ice a Cookie to fill the background and then Royal icing for the decoration! Good luck!

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 9

I understand how to decorate the cookies, but don't your cookies get stale? The one time I tried to do it, I made the cookies one day, iced them the next, and served them the day after. By the time they were served, I thought they tatsted stale. Is there a special recipe, should I have stored them special? I think I left them out so the icing would dry hard. I love the idea, but can't get the cookie part right.

Thanks.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 9

That's a good question,ElleC! I've been wondering the same thing...

Niki027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki027 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for sharing your recipe. (:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%