Dark Brown Bcfrosting - What Is The Fastest/easiest Way?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 8:25pm by btrsktch

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 9

I wanted to pipe some monkeys on some cupcakes and needed some dark brown buttercream frosting. I started out using Wilton's BC recipe and made it medium consistency and added the Wilton brown gel color. After adding numerous toothpick additions, I finally relented to adding some ready made chocolate frosting. The color is still not what I want, but I'm pressed for time.

1. What is the fastest/easiest way to make BC frosting dark brown?
2. Is there another way than to start with chocolate flavored frosting?

Thanks!

8 replies
brendaonline Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 9

The Wilton's Buttercream chocolate version is the standard recipe plus 3/4 c cocoa OR 3-4 melted baking chocolate squares, and 1 or 2 extra T water.

With extra vanilla it tasted fine to my unsophisticated palate, was a rich dark brown that deepened with time, and was easy to work with in piping. That's what's on the basketweave cake in my photos.

dee-lite Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 9

I buy it from micheals-I cant get it dark enough homemade to save my life..I also use betty crocker chocolate canned from the grocery for pipng monkeys ...A cheat it seems but gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes HTH

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the tips! Ideally I would like to try to avoid chocolate in the future (because some people can't have it) so I'm anxious to try adding more vanilla. I'm just curious...how much vanilla was needed to make your basketweave cake? BTW - it looks great!

Tiffysma Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 9

Does anyone in your area carry Americolor gel colors? They work so much better than Wilton. It's worth it to order on line if you can't get them locally. I have a stump cake in my photos that is dark brown and it had no chocolate in it. It was a groom's cake and the groom didn't like chocolate. I used Americolor dark brown, warm brown and chocolate brown (color, not flavor) and a bit of black.

You might try adding a bit of black to your wilton brown.

brendaonline Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

how much vanilla was needed to make your basketweave cake?

To tell the truth I never measure, even with the cap. I usually pour in somewhere between 1/2 - 1 T or so, sort of proportional to whatever is in the bowl. I'm not shy about my flavorings, and vanilla seems to make everything taste better. icon_wink.gif

sweet_2th_fairy Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #7 of 9

I do believe I have seen AmeriColor at some stores, but I bought the 12 pack of Wilton colors. I'll give Wilton another try, but I may lose patience again and take your advice! icon_smile.gif I did add some black, but it made it a very strange color. Maybe I put too much. I will try the vanilla tip, too! Thanks.

eneq Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #8 of 9

The best chocolate BC i made was when i added the hershey's dark chocolate powder to my BC. it made it a nice dark brown color. i didn't even add that much to it so i imagine you could get it darker just by adding more cocoa or just food coloring if u don't want a very chocolatey taste. it frosted really well too.

btrsktch Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 9

I purchase black cocoa from King Arthur Flour. Not very expensive and a little goes a long way since I mix it with hershey's cocoa powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%