Omg! When Did Ccc Raise Their Minimum Price To $1000?!

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 31 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm by milissasmom

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 21

I just saw on another thread someone mention that Duff's minimum was $1000?! I just had to go on their web site and sure enough! icon_eek.gif Last I remember it was $500!

I charge $3.50/serving (buttercream) $4.50/serving (fondant) and I've had so many people freak out over that!!! icon_rolleyes.gif I can't even imagine!!! icon_surprised.gif

I wish!!! icon_wink.gif

20 replies
lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 21

I totally understand why...just think of how many people desperately want a cake from there. Not only does the market set the price, but it relieves their workload, too, I imagine. They can now make half the cakes for the same money (or, of course, make a few more cakes and pocket there ya go - more $$$). Dang, good for them! I love all their personalities - they seem to be really great people.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 21

With the cost of everything going up..including the employees driving into work. I can see how there prices went up. I went to Costco the other day to buy my normal freezer goodies...A bag a shrimp went up $3 and the crab cakes I love went up about $3, and also the milk was up by 50 cents.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 21

Must be nice. icon_biggrin.gif Good for him! thumbs_up.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 21

icon_rolleyes.gif I can only dream of being that talented...and get paid that much money.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 21

wow and i have people cringing at $60 for a sheet cake.
I could only dream of that kind of minimum.

GO DUFF!!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #7 of 21

I noticed that too and it's amazing. I love it. When someone mentions them, I always ask them back, "yeah, did you know their base price for any cake is $500?" People are shocked and it suddenly makes me seem so much more reasonable! Now I can change it to $1000? Even better, and it's verifiable. All anyone has to do is check their website.

Go Duff go! icon_smile.gif

babycakes982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes982 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:07am
post #8 of 21

I know 1000 bucks is a lot of money - but people are paying it! With that 1000 dollars - not only do you get a unique artistic cake (and yes - they are art pieces!) but you get a little piece of the fame that CCC has created. How cool to be a part of what I consider "history" that is being made in the cake/culinary industry!
I also know that cake business is not easy - and it does make me frustrated when people want your cakes - but don't know how many hours go into creating and making these masterpieces! So - when you give them a price quote - they look at you like your crazy. Bottom line - I know that if a person wants something bad enough - they will pay the price! So - Duff and crew - keep up good work!!! Love watching all your shinan-a-gins and cake-tastrophies! Love me some ribs!!!

Barbara in Santa Rosa, CA. (Home of Guy Fieri)

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:32am
post #9 of 21

Website link? I must see this $1000 cake! lol

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:43am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33

Website link? I must see this $1000 cake! lol

http://www.charmcitycakes.com/ . . . saying all cakes made by Duff and his crew "start" at $1000 as indicated on "ordering FAQ"

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 5:59am
post #11 of 21

And Last I heard, cake orders are place at CCC almost a year in advance just to get a spot. I am SO happy for them! Did anyone see the epi last week with the cake for the Library or the Book that the Artist "Anna" painted (she is my absolute favorite) it was AMAZING! All the DUFF and CCC haters need to wake up, these folk have amazing talent.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 6:11am
post #12 of 21

Thanx for the link!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 12:33pm
post #13 of 21

I agree - Anna is absolutely amazing.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 30 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 21

It isn't just the cake prices he commands either - i had considered them for my wedding cake, and I was ok with the prices, but the delivery charge is what got me . . . used to be $150/hour (now $175), and my site is about 3 hours each way.

The show is entertaining, but his shop's style isn't for everyone. that doesn't make someone a "bad" person for not liking the style or how they make cakes. I do think they cakes they do now get better and better each season (just like the rest of us!!!!).

Some stuff on the show IS a little odd though. . . like when they made a replica of a rowhouse, and then you see a shot of them putting it on the SEAT of the car of the person picking it up. then you get the "drama" of Geoff going over there to miraculously repair the damage. duh - we KNOW that will happen when you put it on the seat instead of the floor.

Or like duff claiming on one episode not to know that fondant can be ordered pre colored. Come on. . . basic knowledge for an amateur cakester, and he is a culinary school grad.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 11:54am
post #15 of 21

Bully for them if they can get the $1,000 minimum, but lets talk real world here. Being famous has its perks, and being able to demand those kind of prices is one of them. The rest of us peons get hassled for wanting to charge $20 for a sheet cake!

milissasmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

Bully for them if they can get the $1,000 minimum, but lets talk real world here. Being famous has its perks, and being able to demand those kind of prices is one of them. The rest of us peons get hassled for wanting to charge $20 for a sheet cake!

Ha ha ha...Ain't that the truth!!!!!!! lol...Damn shame icon_biggrin.gif

I would certainly hope none of us would think that anyone who didn't like Duff and the CCC Crew were "BAD" people, that would be plain silly. I just think that it is a little funny when people take the whole "Why does CCC have a show, they are not THAT talented" view. Which in my opinion, is simply untrue. There are several different types and levels of talent in the world. And we should embrace them all! Because we donât think someone isnât talented doesnât make it so. Unfortunately, every talented person cannot have TV recognition. Just simply isn't possible. I think Duff and others like him have given my business nothing but a boost so I have nothing bad to say about him/them and certainly wouldn't take it as far as to criticize him personally or even speak on what he/they may or may not know. Just doesn't seem like it's my place to do so. Afterall, it is a TV show with editors, producers, directors and some writers. Just my opinion.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #17 of 21

Confetti Cakes has a $1000 min order too.. I would love to be there. Good for them!

GeminiRJ Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #18 of 21

While I am green with envy for these decorators who can charge such high rates, I certainly don't fault them for doing so. You ever wonder what brought them to the notice of FoodNetwork, which had to have helped their business? I won't ever have FoodNetwork knocking on my door, but that would be almost more exciting than being able to charge $1,000 minimums!

milissasmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 7:51pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:

I won't ever have FoodNetwork knocking on my door, but that would be almost more exciting than being able to charge $1,000 minimums!

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!! NO no NO, I could totally see you on food network as the Cookie Queen!!!!! lol...It would be so awesome to see your cookie cutters on TV. Paula Deene would just die for em....lol. They just may come a knockin'!

GeminiRJ Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 8:01pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!! NO no NO, I could totally see you on food network as the Cookie Queen!!!!! lol...It would be so awesome to see your cookie cutters on TV. Paula Deene would just die for em....lol. They just may come a knockin'![/quote]

LOL! From your lips to their ears!

milissasmom Posted 31 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!! NO no NO, I could totally see you on food network as the Cookie Queen!!!!! lol...It would be so awesome to see your cookie cutters on TV. Paula Deene would just die for em....lol. They just may come a knockin'!

LOL! From your lips to their ears![/quote]

thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%