Sheet Cakes...and More Sheet Cakes...

Decorating By Etchlain09 Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm by akgirl10

Etchlain09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etchlain09 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 8

I live in a small town(very small, about 2000 people), and have been decorating cakes about four years. The problem is, it seems all anyone wants around here are sheet cakes. If you look at my pics, you'll notice that the majority are just sheets. I don't know if it's because they're cheaper, or if they just don't really know what's out there. How do you introduce another idea for a cake without sounding like you're just trying to up the price? I want to try new things, push my abilities a bit, and demonstrate what I CAN do. How do you let your customers know that the more expensive cakes are really worth it? I'm sheet-caked out!! icon_cry.gif

7 replies
nattyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nattyk Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

Maybe next time you are to bring a cake to a gathering-church, club, etc.- don't take a sheet cake. Pull out all the stops and if they think it is a little "over the top" just let them know that you are spreading your wings and ready to fly!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 8

"Tiered cakes are for weddings .... sheet cakes are for everything else."

It's the paradigm you have to break thru. And it's hard.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 8

To introduce new ideas, raise the price on the sheet cake!!!
I also like Nattyk's ideas also, do something different to take to different functions.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 8

I know how you feel. I have done all sheet cakes for the longest time and finally got to do a tiered cake for a birthday. Now I tell everyone who asks for a cake that sheetcakes are not their only choice icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 8

People in my area are in the grocery-store mentality. They want it cheap, quick, and rectangular. I do have a LOT of people to tell me, "I need to feed about ## with _______ theme. Just do whatever you want." Then I can branch out into tiers or squares, etc. If I didn't do sheets, I'd be bored to death, but some are starting to come around. Do a couple of dummies in colors/themes that are popular to your customers so that you'll have them in your portfolio when you talk to new customers. Maybe you can sway them if they can see a picture.

Etchlain09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etchlain09 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all, very good ideas. I'm going to give them a try thumbs_up.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 8

Up your prices! If you charge the same price per serving no matter what the shape, I'm sure you will get orders for more interesting cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%