How Do You Do Your Floral Sprays?

Decorating By pamconn Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm by pamconn

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 6

Are there any books on how to do a floral spray on a cake? I have a hard time figuring out how and where to place my flowers and what flowers to use together.

Do you just have the natural talent to know how to place your flowers or do you have guidelines that you follow?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 6

I just place them where I think they should go. Sometimes it's a design in my head, sometimes it starts with a flaw that needs to be cvered up. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 6

When I was getting started, I just look at pics of other cakes and followed those as examples.

One thing I do is pipe a large mound of green icing on the cake, then place the flowers on that. It gives height to the flowers (they're not just flat on the cake), plus by using the green icing, it looks like leaves or greenery peeking out from under the flowers. Showed this trick to a 10 year old girl I was teaching cake decorating for her 4H project ... she got a ribbon that is higher than a blue ribbon and the judges cited her height and depth on her spray as the reason!

regbevjon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regbevjon Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 6

There's also a very helpful tutorial on youtube. Just do a search for cake decorating and you should find it. It's very step by step. Hope that helps.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 6

A really good book on arranging and piping bc flowers is roland winbecklers butter cream flowers book.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out youtube for help, and see if I can find that book at the library.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%