I Moved, And Customer Called In The Middle Of It For Cake!

Business By marmalade1687 Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 4:13am by 4Gifts4Lisa

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 23

Well, our move went really well this past week - my hubby just got our computer up and running again yesterday afternoon, so I am once again back onto CC! (Had to check on my client emails first, so I couldn't play yesterday icon_wink.gif ).

I had a very funny story to share with you all (although I was pretty mad at the time!). We were in the middle of the move - movers were coming in with heavy furniture, and I was telling them where in the house to put it, when the phone rang. Yes, it was a customer wanting a cake in two days! icon_eek.gif I explained to her that I was literally in the middle of moving (you could hear the movers in the background grunting and asking me where the sofa was supposed to go), so I really couldn't do anything for her at the moment. She got really snarky with me and said that she had been waiting for a year to order a cake from me and that she wanted it now! I explained the situation to her (everything would be in boxes for the next couple of weeks until we got our house in order), but she just didn't get it - ARGH!! icon_mad.gif

22 replies
fluttercakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 23

If she was waiting a whole year to order from you, she could have very well called you BEFORE two days before!!! Yeesh...some people!

So glad your move went well! I'm hoping to be able to move into a bigger home within the next couple of years (we are outgrowing this one way too fast)!

Swede-cakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 23

Boy, sounds like her cake dreams were crushed! icon_rolleyes.gif Seriously, your cakes must be out of this world for her to look ahead a year to get one! thumbs_up.gif

I agree with fluttercakes...2 days? Does that mean she plans the rest of the party at the 11th hour, too?? Yikes.

That's not very nice that she couldn't understand the position you happened to be in. It's just unfortunate timing, is all. Her event (whatever it is) is probably on her mind as she pulls things together, but sheesh, she didn't have to get crabby on you.

Glad to hear you're move went well...Happy unpacking!

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 23

I think I can top that one, as bad as that one was!!

We have a friend who is a politician. He was in the car, on the way to the hospital, where his father was dying. His phone rang and it was a constituent wanting to discuss an issue. Friend explained, "Look, I really can't talk right now. I am literally on my way to my dying father's bedside." Constituent got all pi$$y and wanted to talk about the issue NOW anyway!! Friend hung up on him.

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 23

Boy...stories like these just go to show you that some people's kids have no life skills whatsoever!! Thank you Skichic for the compliment...I don't think anyone should have to wait a year to order my cakes though, LOL !! I always tell clients that my cakes are no-occasion cakes - you don't need an occasion to order them!! When this lady threw her little tantrum, it just made me REALLY want to not work with her - just like your story Indydebi, get pi$$y with me, I hang up on you!!

Mike1394 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 23

How rude of you to not stop the movers, and put everything thing back so you could do her cake. Sheeeesh where's your customer service. Hehehehe icon_biggrin.gif

Glad the move went well

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 23

Customer Service was packed in one of the 25 boxes of cake supplies that the sweet young movers in the sweaty shirts had piled up in my basement - probably WAY in the back.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Housemouse Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 23

This won't top anyone's story but..

Many years ago my brother had a late night phone call from a customer wanting to buy a bed from him. My brother was rather surprised, owing to the lateness of the hour, but said that he'd get dressed and meet the customer at the store in 20 minutes so he could talk him through the range and he could try them. At which point the customer went all snotty because my brother expected him to meet him at the store and asked indignantly Do know what time it is????' To which my brother replied, 'yes'.

As skichic said, when they get something on their mind that is all they can focus on and somehow commonsense and intelligence all fly out the door.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 23

People can sometimes only think of themselves!! It's really starting to get to me. My business line (which I have SOLD my business) is my cell phone. At the time I thought I was doing a good thing....I didn't have to wait to get to the shop to make calls...I could make them at my convenience. Well it's all back fired on me now! thumbsdown.gif My phone was ringing one day and I just hit the button to turn off the ringer...the voicemail stated I was no longer in business due to my pregnancy, no longer taking any orders, thanked them for their patronage, and then referred them to the new owner of my shop. Well, the same number popped up like 5 times in a 20 minute period and I was getting really upset so I picked up the phone and said "CAN I HELP YOU?" It was a former bride wanting to order a cake for her hubby. I asked her if she listened to the message any of the 5 times she had called and she said yes but she thought since she was a former bride I should accomodate her. tapedshut.gif Think kind of crap is something I have been going through on a daily basis...I've decided to shut my freakin' phone off and just use ds's cell for awhile. I am so tired of people expecting an explanation or wanting to argue with me about my business being closed and they really want a cake! All of this has been hard enough and I am at the end of a high risk pregnancy....

DoniB Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 23

I also paint Christmas ornaments, and last fall, got a call on my wedding day, for an order for one. icon_razz.gif The lady needed it the next day, for a wedding present! My maid of honor answered the phone, since I was stuck in a chair getting my hair done (and we kept the phone on for last minute lost guests or emergencies). My MoH explained that I was at a wedding. The lady said, "Oh, this won't take but a minute." To which my MoH said, "No, it's HER wedding. She's getting married in fifteen minutes." And the customer? Said, "This will only take two. I need an ornament for tomorrow."

My MoH laughed and asked when I was supposed to do that, since I was getting married, and tonight was my wedding night? The lady apparently figured it out about then, then got snarky and asked why the phone had even been answered if it was such a special day! LOL MoH told her about the lost guest reason, and the lady hung up on her.

Um... didn't you know weeks ago about the wedding you've been invited to? And couldn't you have called me ANY day but my wedding day (and the day before you need it??) to get an ornie??? Oh, and just for future reference, it takes more than 24 hours to crank out a special order like that, since the paint has to cure before I can seal it and box it up!

As someone already mentioned... some peoples' kids! icon_razz.gif

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 23

I've been thinking about this thread all afternoon....I just don't get why people think we "owe" them something because we have a business. A couple of years ago I had to drop everything and cancel orders because my hubby's grandpa died suddenly and we had to go out of state immediately. I left a list with my assistant to call the few orders I had that week (no weddings) and everything was going smoothly...so I thought. Well, we are at the funeral, in the family car, heading to the cemetary and my phone kept vibrating in my pocket. So I discretely pulled it out thinking something had happened to my son who was with my mom and I saw 12 missed calls from the same number. I'm thinking "listen to the message freak" which stated I had an unexpected family death out of state would be unavailable until the next week. It also left the number of my assistant so they could make an appointment. Well, the phone just kept vibrating so I finally just answered it and low and behold it was a customer. Someone who had been ordering from me for her school. She wanted my Social Security number for tax purposes icon_eek.gif and said she needed it right then and couldn't wait. I told her that a form had to be filled out AND I HAD TO DO IT, I was out of town with a family death as a matter of fact we were driving to the cemetary at that moment and she'd have to wait until I got back. She said well, unless I get this now I won't be able to order from you anymore I have to have this NOW! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif! Mother of Gawd! I just hung up the dang phone. I did call the school and talk to the principal when I got back and everything was just fine....he was completely understanding and seemed quite irritated with her behavior. Do you know that heffer called me the next month to order again????? Not in this lifetime is what I was thinking!

chutzpah Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 23

people are such butts.

A couple of years ago we were in Dublin on vaca and I had my cell with. I don't use my cell for business calls, it's personal, and for emergencies etc. I also have a regular phone at the store, and had a message on there saying we were closed for vacation and would re-open on XX.

In the middle of the night, like 2 am on Sunday, my cell rings (I was sound asleep!). I thought it was mom and that my gramma had died or something! I come flying out of the bed and rushed to answer it.

A woman says, 'HI, I'd like some information on wedding cakes.'
Me: 'What?'
AW (@$$hole woman): 'I'm getting married this summer and need information on wedding cakes'
Me: 'Did you listen to the answering service when you called the shop?'
AW: 'Yes, but I really want to know about the cakes now, so I called information and got your home phone and your cell. No one answered at home so I called your cell'
Me: 'You do realize that you are calling me in the middle of the night on my VACATION, don't you?' (sarcastic)
AW (just as cool as a cuke): 'Oh, yes, but I didn't feel like waiting until you opened the shop next week'

I hung up and turned off my phone. The next day when I checked it she had left several messages, saying that we had been disconnected, probably because it was an overseas call.... DUH.

She called like twice a day during the course of my vacation (I recognized her number and never answered). When I got home I called her and told her I wouldn't do her cake. She didn't understand why.

sarahnichole975 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #13 of 23

Yes indeed! These are great. Dealing with customers has taught me a lot about what type of customer I want to be. I do expect good customer service, but I also realize that unless you respect someone, client or service provider, you cannot expect to be treated with respect. Service with a smile, yes, but the smile should be returned. And people who disrespect me just because I'm providing a service are pretentious idiots. It's funny how we should drop everything because of their "emergencies" though their so unconcerned with any thing we're dealing with. I have on my voicemail all available dates through the end of the year, and yet I still have people leave messages of "please, please can you". I always think, "did you NOT listen to the voicemail!?!"

lepaz Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:31pm
post #14 of 23

sweet young movers in the sweaty shirts

marmalade1687, where did you find these kind of movers???! I want to book them just to come move some furniture around! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:55pm
post #15 of 23
Originally Posted by lepaz

marmalade1687, where did you find these kind of movers???! I want to book them just to come move some furniture around! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Same place as the young landscapers who work shirtless...I sit on my front porch with my drink, while they do the work...hee hee! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:02pm
post #16 of 23

And one really good thing that came out of this whole thing - my husband never really believed that we needed an extra phone line for my business...since we have been on "vacation" to do this move, the phone has not stopped ringing for orders (that's always the way!), I like to let the answering machine pick up to screen calls while we are on vacation (and let my pre-recorded message tell clients that I am unavailable)...but he picks it up out of habit, and therefore he is the one to tell the customer "no". icon_rolleyes.gif He now thinks a second phone line is a good idea...! thumbs_up.gif

Mike1394 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #17 of 23
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

Originally Posted by lepaz

Same place as the young landscapers who work shirtless...I sit on my front porch with my drink, while they do the work...hee hee! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Any requests for Sour old guys that just sweat? LOLOL

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #18 of 23

Ah, Mike, there's not much demand for us gray haired fat ladies with saggy boobs and big butts, either! icon_lol.gif

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:17pm
post #19 of 23

If you can move 7 appliances without complaining, I'll provide the beer - I think I broke a couple of the sweet young movers with all of my appliances this time! icon_wink.gif

arosstx Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #20 of 23

People are so clueless sometimes.

Nice thing about caking - the ability (and the right) to say "no." Or be booked. Or charge more. icon_wink.gif

loriemoms Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #21 of 23

Glad the move went well..now the fun part..UNPACKING!

I have had customers call me while I was setting up a wedding cake (I do a lot of setups and I keep my cell phone handy incase a previous setup needs me back or another one is delayed) I tell them I am in the middle of a wedding cake setup, and I don't have a pen or anything handy, could they call me back in a couple of hours? They get really pissy and a lot of them never call back. I don't get it. People are just too strange..

costumeczar Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #22 of 23

People think that the "customer is always right" means that they can be as rude as they want to be...I have to add my favorite customer service story.

I used to work at a department store in Boston, and I was working in the shoe department one day. This woman found one shoe that had been marked 6.99 instead of 69.99, and she demanded that the salesman get the other shoe and sell her the pair for 6.99. Now I know that if it's marked that way you're supposed to sell it, but the department manager told her that it was human error and that the price was actually 69.99. This woman got nasty, so eventually the manager told her "fine, this shoe is 6.99. The other one is $63. Do you want to buy the pair?" icon_lol.gif

I got my revenge on this one nasty customer who would start something EVERY TIME he came in. It was at the point that if they salespeople saw him come in they all wanted to go on break all of a sudden. Well, after taking his abuse for two years (I was the manager, and it all ran uphill to me) I had turned in my notice and I totally didn't care anymore. He came in, we saw him coming, and sure enough he started arguing about something. I happened to be standing there chatting with the store's personnel manager, and this guy came up and tried to start an argument with me. I told him that it was obvious that we weren't able to give him the service that he needed, so he should shop somewhere else in the future. He was totally shocked, and said that he was going to report me for being an a@@hole! I told him that he was one too, so go ahead, and he stomped off. The personnel manager just stood there and went "oh my god, do you have to deal with that all the time?"

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #23 of 23

Oh Lord...I am dying! Keep the stories coming!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%