Any Help With Gumpaste Mushrooms Would Be Fabulous!!

Decorating By katiebunt Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 2:26am by tree45

katiebunt Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:20am
post #1 of 4

I am doing a Tinkerbell Woodlands cake for my daughters 15th birthday party this weekend. Two tiers with Tink sitting on a "tree stump" cake on top. My daughter wants some whimsical looking mushrooms on the cake, and I have never done any mushrooms other than meringue. She wants white bases with red tops w/ white dots. Any suggestions on shaping the tops? Domed, Oblong? I have no idea on this one. The cake she saw them on is at ...

Will these be self-supporting or do I need to run a skewer or something thru them? They look top-heavy to me.

3 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't make them out of gumpaste, I would do them in meringue. That way they would be self-supporting. They can be piped to any size required.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Malakin Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 4

What size mushroom? In my pics I did one with a large RKT top covered in fondant with dots and chocolate cake for the base covered in fondant. For the smaller natural colored ones, they are baked SMBC.

tree45 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #4 of 4

I know they look top heavy but I don't think they are....

When you have your gumpaste ball of red, roll it in a ball and stick your finger in the center roll into mushroom shape. from there you can make the stem from a peice of white gumpaste and glue it into the center of the mushroom

Quote by @%username% on %date%