Just Curious... What Is The Oldest Wilton Yearbook You Have?

Decorating By knel Updated 27 Jul 2008 , 3:40pm by mbelgard

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #31 of 75

OK, I admit....I think my earliest Wilton Book is from '65.

So what about all the other magazines we all probably have stashed somewhere, cc'ers??? C'mon...you've all gotta have at least as much as I do! icon_redface.gif When we downsized and moved to the smaller house 3 years ago, I had several boxes crammed with Mailbox News mags from who-knows-when, and every copy of ACD since it began, plus every Wilton wedding book, etc that they published, ICES newsletters from 1992 to present, and enough assorted cake books to form a small library!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I think my local library will be well stocked someday! icon_wink.gif

twistedsplinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twistedsplinters Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #32 of 75

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #33 of 75

My oldest yearbook is 1977 a year or two after I got interested in decorating... but my oldest Wilton book is from 1954. I love to go back to those books for ideas that can be updated. I admit it I'm a cake nerd icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

... but my oldest Wilton book is from 1954.

Oh that would be awesome to see!!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:16am
post #35 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

... but my oldest Wilton book is from 1954.

Oh that would be awesome to see!!

Indydebi...it's so old it doesn't even say Wilton on the cover. It's called the Homemaker's Pictorial Encyclopedia of modern cake decorating by McKinley Wilton and Norman Wilton. It has lots of recipes and instructions for pulled sugar, marzipan and tons of borders and bc flowers. Even a wedding cake wrapped in pulled sugar...they were ahead of their times icon_lol.gif

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #36 of 75

Let me just say......

Maid of Scandanavia..... from the 50's!!

Almost every yearbook and just last week picked up Celebrate II on Ebay for 9.99 and almost have all of them! Ebay was a killer on my pocket for the last few years.... I just type in CAKE book and see what happens... I got a few from England and Australia that way!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #37 of 75

I started decorating in 1990 and I bought all the books I could, so the earliest is 1988.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

OK, I admit....I think my earliest Wilton Book is from '65.

So what about all the other magazines we all probably have stashed somewhere, cc'ers??? C'mon...you've all gotta have at least as much as I do! icon_redface.gif When we downsized and moved to the smaller house 3 years ago, I had several boxes crammed with Mailbox News mags from who-knows-when, and every copy of ACD since it began, plus every Wilton wedding book, etc that they published, ICES newsletters from 1992 to present, and enough assorted cake books to form a small library!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I think my local library will be well stocked someday! icon_wink.gif

Well, I had to go check, and it appears that my oldest publication from Wilton is March 1960, Wilton's Wonderland of Cake Decorating. I too, have years of Mailbox News, ACD, the ICES newsletters, and every Wilton Holiday publication, wedding books, Celebrate books w/patterns, and the quarterlys before the hardback versions came out. I actually had a complete duplicate set at one time, and sold it.. Funny thing is.. it is so much easier to collect today with the internet, as opposed to the old days when we had to scavage thru yard sales and thrift shops to find any.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That was a lot more exciting when you finally found something good... icon_wink.gif

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #39 of 75

ya, just try and find some locally!! Our library has a HUGE book bonanza every year... and I went on Saturday, like I do every year-- and NOWHERE in sight was any kind of cake book! Not a decorating book, a wilton book or a magazine in sight... I get so bummed out every year because I can never get to the 'advance' showing on friday night.... I feel that that's when they all sell!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #40 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

Someone mentioned about how she felt BC would make a big comeback... ...

Actually, I said I believe that Lambeth-style piping will make a big comeback. icon_smile.gif I know there are still a bunch of BC cakes out there, because so many old-timers don't do fondant...which I just LUV to hear when the brides come book their cakes with me. icon_biggrin.gif Okay, yeah, there are young'uns that don't do fondant either....but many decorators who've been in business for quite awhile in my area are stuck in buttercream-only mode...which suits me just fine. thumbs_up.gif

I just hope that the avocado green & harvest gold cakes and the zodiac-sign cakes from the 70's never get resurrected! EGADS!!!!! LOLOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

...because so many old-timers don't do fondant...

Careful!! I resemble that remark! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

oh gawd, I was a teenager during the harvest gold appliances period. You couldn't buy another color if your life depended on it. hated it then ... hate it now! icon_biggrin.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #42 of 75

I never did buy many of the Wilton Year Books. I did start getting "Mail Box News" in April of 1977 and received it for 3 years. I still have all of those. I got it mostly because they told what cake shows were coming up. They used to do cake shows in the malls then and they were a lot of fun to go to.
I too used to buy a lot of supplies from "Maid of Scandanavia". I didn't save the catalogs though.

I do have a "Celebrate VI" from 1980. I bought it because it had a lot of cakes in it, using the "People Molds". I still have my original set of people molds. They made really neat looking cake toppers but were too time consuming for me.

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:40am
post #43 of 75

mine is 1972, Have been collecting the older books on Ebay, I have the Wilton Way of cake Decorating Vol. 3 and A Celebrate V. Started trying to learn to do some of that string and bridge work in the older books.

To those CC'rs who do the string work ....My hat's off to you. It has to be the hardest technique I have tried to teach my self.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:50am
post #44 of 75

1977 - I've picked up most of mine for quarters from library sales, "friends of the library" stores, and used bookstores.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:03am
post #45 of 75

Oh, sorry, CakePro,.. . I misread that...

Forgive me for being "young" (although 33 ISN'T young in my books...)and ignorant, but what is Lambeth style??? Never heard of this before...

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:23am
post #46 of 75

OK...call me old. My aunt gave me the Wilton 1954 Homemaker's PE of Modern cake Decorating. I also have some Wilton Lessons from the McCalls Magazine (circa 1955). I have Baker's (Coconut) Cut-up cakes from 1967-68 and Wilton's Wonderland of Cake Decorating from 1970 (where techniques of gumpaste and chocolate molding are explained). My oldest Wilton Yearbook is 1970-71 and I have all the Celebrate Magazines and Yearbooks (Early to mid-seventies). In the meantime I also subscribed to Mailbox News from 1975-1978. Believe me, it is a lot easier to gather information nowadays! You younger decorators should feel very fortunate to have a resource such as CC so easily accessible! Thanks CC!
LL
LL

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #47 of 75

My oldest yearbook is from 1970. I have all of the pattern books for them, too. I am missing a few and still looking for them. I like to look through them. I do keep them together with their pattern book in plastic.

I treat them like my brother treats comic books icon_smile.gif

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:35am
post #48 of 75

I have collected all the Wilton Yearbooks. I also have most of the Mailbox News. I have a few missing from the first few years. Mailbox news started back in the mid 50's. The older ones are my favorites. I also have all the American Cake Decorating that have been published. I agree with the buttercream issue. A decorated cake has to be in buttercream for me. It it what I like to eat and make.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:46am
post #49 of 75

Can anyone tell me when ACD and Mailbox news started publishing?

And when did Wilton start their yearbooks? 1965? Can't remember what I read, and now I don't want to go look for it...icon_biggrin.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

....BC would make a big comeback...

A comeback? icon_eek.gif You mean it's out? icon_surprised.gif You mean all these BC cakes I've been making for 25 years for brides are not "in vogue"! icon_surprised.gif

Oh wait! Maybe that means I'm already in place for this big "comeback" I'm hearing about! Yeah! THAT'S it!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LUV that response. thumbs_up.gif I'm right there with ya on that one!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:21pm
post #51 of 75
Quote:

Oh, sorry, CakePro,.. . I misread that...

Forgive me for being "young" (although 33 ISN'T young in my books...)and ignorant, but what is Lambeth style??? Never heard of this before...

icon_biggrin.gif I'm young, too! I am 26 plus 11. Haha

Here is the one quick link I could find (running late to get to work) with a brief explanation and an example cake: http://www.winbeckler.com/cakes-marshas.asp

I'll google more for ya later. icon_smile.gif

Sherri

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #52 of 75

the oldest yearbook that i have is 1970 (red cover).

i started collecting them on ebay a couple of weeks ago and i am on the looking for 3 yearbooks from the 70's and all from the 80's.

i also have all of the Celebrate publications (and pattern books) except the Omnibus one.

i love looking through those books. even though some of the designs are gaudy (i mean, how many bells, birds and cherubs do you need on one cake), they can easily be "modernised". they are also great for newbies who want to hone their skills on sheet cakes and novelty pans.

knel Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #53 of 75

Here is the one quick link I could find (running late to get to work) with a brief explanation and an example cake: http://www.winbeckler.com/cakes-marshas.asp

I'll google more for ya later. icon_smile.gif

Thanks, CakePro., that's some ornate cakin'!!! I love the cocoa painting!

knel Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #54 of 75

okay, how do you copy part of someone's quote and then respond? Can't figure that out!!!!!! URG!!!

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:20pm
post #55 of 75
Quote:

okay, how do you copy part of someone's quote and then respond? Can't figure that out!!!!!! URG!!!

You click the "quote" button on the upper right hand side of the person's post. You can delete the parts of their post that are not pertinent to what you are responding to...just make sure you leave everything that is included in the [ ] markers.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #56 of 75

I think the earliest i have is 1999. That is probably because that is when i really started concentrating on making cakes. I use to collect them every year up until around 2005 and i stopped buying them. Initally they totally inspired me and i couldn't wait until the newest edition came out. Now i find the yearbooks tend to have the same old stuff in them year after year and majorily push the wilton products. I do look back every so often for inspiration, and to look at their tips guide towards the back of the book but honestly now that i've found a few really good cake forums i find so much more inspiration on them, and i can save my money. The yearbooks are pricey.
PJ..those pics are sooo cool to see. I would love it if those of you who have really old yearbooks would scan a photo of one of the cakes represented in the yearbook so we can see what the style of cake was in that particular year, it's sooo cool to see.

suz

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #57 of 75

I'm so glad this thread got started! icon_biggrin.gif It got me curious as to what I have and yes I do look through them often, but didn't pay attention to the dates that much.
So here's my collection:
Yearbooks 1976 and 1977, Celebrate! III (hardback), The Rose, A Treasury of Wilton Wedding Cakes (can't find a date) ~ these were all given to me as gifts,
I've purchased:
Yearbooks 1992-1994, 1996, 1999, 2007-2008 and Cucpake Fun
OK, so now y'all have me wanting to go on ebay and buy every possible Wilton publication I can find that I don't have!! icon_wink.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #58 of 75

I inherited most of my collection from DH's aunt. I also inherited her KA and lots of tips and pans. That's what finally got me off of my tush and made me act of cakes instead of always talking about it.... icon_lol.gif

Anyway, I have 1970-2009 and I as well as my kids love to look through them all the time... icon_lol.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #59 of 75

I had originally started buying the yearbooks in 2005, but last year I went on an eBay shopping spree and found 1973-2004!

I would still love to find 1968-1972 sometime, but they seem to be nearly impossible to find these days.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:35pm
post #60 of 75

The first year book is 73. All others were catalogs, made that way. I have all year books and pattern books plus 40 + others that wilton has put out. That is not counting the 100 + other sugar books that I have collected. Love them all and still adding to my library.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%