What Is Wrong With My Fondant?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm by Shola

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #1 of 7

I made Michele Foster's recipe and it tastes great. I let it rest covered in cling wrap and stored in a freezer bag in my pantry for the last couple of days. I took it out to cover a cake with it tonight, and the consistency is just horrible. It is not smooth at all. There are a bazillion tiny cracks all over it, even right after I roll it out. It breaks if I even try to move it to change position on my mat while rolling it out. I can't even attempt to put it on the cake because it will break and tear the second I get too much of it up. I took a picture of what the ball of it looks like. Do I need to add anything to it? I tried adding more glycerin. That made it a sticky mess. Then I added more ps. Now I think it is too dry. I might have played around too much with it to salvage it at this point. How can I get it stretchy and pliable like my Satin Ice?
LL
LL

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:45am
post #2 of 7

It sounds/looks to me like it needs water &/or shortening. Sounds like it dried out in storage.
Not sure if it might be salvageable now or not. It's worth playing w/to see even if you don't end up using it on a cake.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

Mine has done that before also..
Did you use jet puffed marshmallows??? If so, don't ever use them again...I found out the hard way..

The first few times I made MMF i used the store brand marshmallows and it came out awesome....then I tried the Jet Puffed kraft ones and disaster followed..lol

So that could be the problem, if not you can see some of my other forum posts and people gave me a bunch of suggestions on how to fix this....

Hope this helps! Good luck!

tootie0809 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:15am
post #4 of 7

I did try adding shortening, then water, then it was a mess, then added more powdered sugar, then too dry, so added more glycerin. Yeah, I think I have made an absolute mess with it.

What is it in Satin Ice that makes it stretchy? Is that what the glycerin in Michele's recipe is for? I'm just trying to figure out where my problem is so next time I will know how to fix it without adding all the things I have without knowing what it will do. Thanks for the advice so far!

Sweetpea, this recipe I used is not MMF. It is regular fondant. I have tried MMF and do like it and had the same problems though with it being to easily broken and tearing too easily. I LOVE the taste of the homemade fondants, just wish I could get the consistency more like the commercial fondants.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 7

Tootie,
I just made Michelle Fosters fondant and this happened to me with the first half of the batch becuase I over kneaded it as I did not get the colour I wanted so I had to keep kneeding in more colour, in the end it looked exactly like the pic you posted, it didn't matter how much crisco I added I just ended up with crumbly greasy mess icon_sad.gif , so the next lot I kneaded it only once with enough colour in one time and it was perfect, I really am sure it goes like this from being kneaded too much.
HTH's

tootie0809 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 7

That definitely could be what happened. I kneaded the heck out of it. Do you think letting it "rest" again for a day or so will help it get back to its original consitency, or is this batch a lost cause?

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

That definitely could be what happened. I kneaded the heck out of it. Do you think letting it "rest" again for a day or so will help it get back to its original consitency, or is this batch a lost cause?

I gotta say I doubt it, but no harm in trying icon_smile.gif I just chucked mine, it would've tasted awful after the amount crisco I slapped in trying to save it anyway! icon_sad.gificon_lol.gif
Let me know if you let it rest and it recovers icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%