Upside Down Technique

Decorating By aswartzw Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm by ShortcakesSweets

aswartzw Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 11

I've been wanting to try this technique and finally made myself do it tonight only to read the directions and find out I really need a scraper for the sides. Ok, strike #1. But I figured I'd at least have a smooth top. But when I took off the paper it had indentions in it. Strike #2. It looked like swiss cheese it was pitted so bad.

So what did I do wrong or need to change. I used SMBC and it didn't have any air bubbles in it. I just threw it on and smoothed it out. Anybody have any great ideas?

10 replies
barbaranoel Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:01am
post #2 of 11

What I found works best is if you cover the wax paper then put in freezer for a few minutes then layer on your cakes.

I just bought a paint scraper from Meijer. The $3 plastic one has worked great for me! I did find the more expensive ones at Sur La Table in Easton Mall but my cheap one works just fine.

It took me a couple trys but the more I do it, the better my cakes look.

tiggy2 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 11

I didn't have any luck with it either. I have been using the method sugarshack teaches on her BC DVD and it works so much better. Her fondant and stacking DVD's are also amazing.

aswartzw Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks, you guys! I might try it again but use a crusting BC and see if it might work better. I've read where some people use a silicone mat so maybe that might help. Well, off to more improvements and tons of practice!

alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 11

I use the upside down method all the time. I cover the majority of my cakes with fondant so those little pits aren't a big deal. I was really frustrated with this technique for buttercream finished cakes, though. I've found a solution to the problem recently. I smear a super thin layer of buttercream with a small offset spatula into the waxed paper (I like waxed paper better than parchment b/c it does not wrinkle with moisture) pressing the thin layer super smooth. Then put a regular layer of buttercream on top of the super thin one. I never chill this layer before doing the sides as the directions say because my butter cream gets too hard and doesn't blend with the sides if the top is chilled. There might still be one or two divits but its MUCH better than just slapping the buttercream on the way I was doing it before. And I'd never get the super flat top and super sharp corners if I didn't do the upside down method....unless I got the Sugarshack video perahps icon_wink.gif.

ShortcakesSweets Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:28am
post #6 of 11

Exactly what IS the upside down technique?

alanahodgson Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 11
Originally Posted by ShortcakesSweets

Exactly what IS the upside down technique?

Shanille21 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 11

I also love the upside dowm method but also use the melvira roller method for smoothing when im finished. I use a crusting buttercream so im dont know if thats better that the smbc to use for that method. I love indydebi's recipe for buttercream.

aswartzw Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 11

Alana, I like how you do the super thin layer first. Maybe I should do that. I keep envisioning squashing it between two layers of waxed paper with a heavy pan and putting in the refrigerator. LOL

alanahodgson Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 11

ShortcakesSweets Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the link!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%