What Is The Difference Between Imbc And Smbc?

Decorating By rdiesing Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm by loriana

rdiesing Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:22am
post #1 of 5

What is the difference between the two icings? Is one better in hot weather than the other? Are both good for piping flowers, etc?

Also, I have a few family members that are allergic to eggs and so far, powdered sugar buttercream has been my only solution. Is there another, less sweet option?

TIA!

4 replies
antonia74 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #2 of 5

The only big difference is the technique, the ingredients are actually the same.

(Some people like one over the other, but I have never noticed a big variation in the consistency/flavour myself.)

For IMBC, you whip egg whites in a mixer and cook a sugar syrup to about 240 degrees in a saucepan right on the stove. You pour the hot syrup into the whipped eggs, when it cools you add the unsalted butter and whip it into an icing.

For SMBC, you whisk the egg whites and the sugar together over a pan of simmering water until it reaches about 140 degrees. You then beat it in a mixer until it doubles in volume and cools, then you add the unsalted butter and whip it into an icing.

Yes, you can technically pipe flowers and decorations with the icing (but that is a bit trickier in hot/humid summer months)....and yes, it isn't incredibly sweet (at least not as sweet as the shortening/icing sugar "buttercreams", no.) I use IMBC year-round. It's stable enough in the summer months if the cake is indoors in at least a light air-conditioning. I don't trust a tiered buttercream wedding cake outdoors in the peak of summer (say, 85 degrees or hotter!) but then again I'd also be kind of grossed out by insects sticking to the icing in outdoor conditions too. icon_razz.gif

loriana Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:29am
post #3 of 5

Hi folks, Ive only made IMBC a few times and loved the buttery taste without it being sickly sweet like Wilton BC type recipes can be.

Could someone kindly try to describe the difference in mouthfeel and consistenct between SMBC and IMBC? What differences are there in the final product? Thanks in advance for any replies!

antonia74 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 5

I don't think there is any noticable difference at all. It's the technique that's different....the final product is "the same". I've made both and just prefer using the IMBC myself because I'm better at that technique. My business partner actually does the SMBC because she finds that easier herself....but both of our cakes look identical and taste identical. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

loriana Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I don't think there is any noticable difference at all. It's the technique that's different....the final product is "the same". I've made both and just prefer using the IMBC myself because I'm better at that technique. My business partner actually does the SMBC because she finds that easier herself....but both of our cakes look identical and taste identical. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Thanks! Thats exactly what I needed to know! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%