Lesson Learned The Hard Way . . .

Decorating By Jocmom Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 11:41pm by Jocmom

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #1 of 17

This has been bothering me all day.

When a coworker requested a sheet cake for her daughter's graduation open house, I used a new - never used - masonite board. I charged her next to nothing for the cake and didn't charge a deposit for the board. I just asked that she return it after the event.

When I went into work today, I found the cake board in my office with a small note that said "Sorry. I forgot about bringing this back. I'm not sure what happened to it." It looks like it was dragged behind a car. Both sides are scratched, one side also has deep gouges. A corner is broken off, and there are "mystery stains" on the board. icon_confused.gif

I'll never use this board for a cake again. It's a mess. I'll also charge everyone a deposit in the future.

16 replies
giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 17

I charge a deposit now for my boards too. I just wasn't getting them back.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #3 of 17

Some friend....

Definetly charge for your boards.

If she is a good friend I'd be tempted to call her and ask her WHAT happened to the board.

Jocmom Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:04am
post #4 of 17

Her note said she didn't know what happened . . . and she has a couple small children at home . . . plus a husband . . . the possiblities are endless. lol

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:03am
post #5 of 17

My guess is that unless you talked to her about returning the cake board she assumed it was disposable. I like to use cardboard or foam board and include the cost of the board in the cost of the materials when I am asking for payment/donation. Mystery stains gouges and breaks sounds like it was dug out of the garbage can.

Jocmom Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:11am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCake

My guess is that unless you talked to her about returning the cake board she assumed it was disposable. I like to use cardboard or foam board and include the cost of the board in the cost of the materials when I am asking for payment/donation. Mystery stains gouges and breaks sounds like it was dug out of the garbage can.

Foam board and cardboard tend to "give" a little from the weight of the cake when the cake is so big. That's why I invested in the masonite. A previous sheet cake had a small crease in it when I delivered it. The customer didn't notice, but I did.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 17

SS that happened. If I was her I would feel horrible and offer to pay for another. I usually buy several cake boards. Spray with glue and stack them like 3 hight. then I cover with tissue paper and contact paper. The board is heavy and it only cost me about $5 to make and I include it in th price of the cake. Good luck. I hope she offers to replace it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:30am
post #8 of 17

I use foam core double thickness for a 12x18 and haven't had a problem with cracking. If its a very heavy cake i will spring for the 1/2 in thick foam core it cuts easily and i'm always amazed how many people try to return them cause they think they are real boards.

Jocmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:50am
post #9 of 17

Where do you find foam core? Our local cake supply store sells cardboard, doubled cardboard, and masonite. I've tried the doubled cardboard and it's just not firm enough for a full sheet cake.

I'll see my "friend" at work today. I plan on saying nothing about the cake board unless she brings it up. I know that she was embarrassed about the condition of the board or she would have given it back to me face-to-face. She sees me throughout the day, but waited until after hours to put it in my office. I just can't understand why she didn't just say that it was destroyed or misplaced and offer to pay for a new one.

Oh well . . . it costs me nothing to be the bigger person and let this go.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:03am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

Where do you find foam core? Our local cake supply store sells cardboard, doubled cardboard, and masonite. I've tried the doubled cardboard and it's just not firm enough for a full sheet cake.

Hobby Lobby, Walmart and Michaels all sell foam board. Dollar Tree has some too but it's not the same.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:41am
post #11 of 17

Often, Hobby Lobby will put foam core boards on sale half price or you can print off an internet coupon at their web site for 40% off for one item. If you do not want to buy it in bulk. I only use the foam core when necessary because of the price.

nekotish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nekotish Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 17

Try to find a screenprinter or large format digital printer in your area and see if t hey will sell you some foamcore. A 4'x8' sheet is about 10.00. I am always shocked to see how much hobby stores charge for it.

Jocmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 17

I'll have to check out Hobby Lobby or Walmart. The nearest Michaels is about 45 minutes away. With gas at $4.22 a gallon, I'm not in the mood for a road trip.

BTW - my friend approached me today and she insisted that she pay for a new board. She said she wanted to replace it weeks ago, but couldn't figure out where I bought it. She thought I might find another use for the board so she left it in my office. I had a check on my desk by the end of the day. icon_wink.gif

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 17

In my beginning days, I made a three tier square cakeusing two separator plates in between each tier since roses were in the middle of each tier. When I called the bride after the wedding to arrange for a time for me to pick up my stuff, she said "We threw those away. We thought it was just cheap plastic"!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about learning the hardway. Never again. I charge a deposit enough to buy new ones if I don't get my stuff back. Cheap plastic my backside!

Tootall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tootall Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 17

Yay! Good friend!! thumbs_up.gif I'm glad you've been paid for the board! I love a happy ending! princess.gifking.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:15pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

Her note said she didn't know what happened . . . and she has a couple small children at home . . . plus a husband . . . the possiblities are endless. lol

icon_lol.gif With my two kids in the house, there is no telling what they would do to something like that. My best guess it that it was a skateboard/sled/something they slid down the driveway ontop of.

How funny! Sorry this happened.

Jocmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

In my beginning days, I made a three tier square cakeusing two separator plates in between each tier since roses were in the middle of each tier. When I called the bride after the wedding to arrange for a time for me to pick up my stuff, she said "We threw those away. We thought it was just cheap plastic"!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about learning the hardway. Never again. I charge a deposit enough to buy new ones if I don't get my stuff back. Cheap plastic my backside!

Just proves that common sense isn't all that common.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%