Aine2's Edible Sugar Glue - A Few Quick Questions

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm by TheCakerator

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 18

I just watched Aine2's video on how to make edible sugar glue. Thank you so much for sharing that great bit of information. Your figures are amazing! I just have 2 quick questions...how long does the edible sugar glue last? I know you said that it has to be refrigerated over night, but after that what is its longevity? Does it still need to be refrigerated?

My other question is if this sugar glue can be used with gum paste figurines, too? Thanks again!

17 replies
mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 18

Is gum-tex the powder she uses? I can't find tylose powder... will gum-tex work?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #3 of 18

Yes, gumtex will work. You can also just dissolve some fondant or gumpaste in water. The glue lasts a couple of weeks but it does get moldy. I make TINY batches of it because a little goes a long way and unless you're making a whole lot of stuff with it, its unlikely you'll use it all before it gets funky.

ETA: Oh! and yes, store it in the fridge.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #4 of 18

Thank you very much!

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #5 of 18

i make fairly large batches of it and store it in smaller clear containers so you can see if there is any mould, i havew not yet had a problem with moulding though.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:14am
post #6 of 18

Thanks for all your help! I look forward to trying this recipe out. icon_smile.gif

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #7 of 18

Just wondering, if you can dissolve a little gumpaste or fondant in water to make glue for sticking embellishments, why would you ever need to make a glue with that Tylose stuff?
sorry if I'm being naive, just want to know the benefits of the tylose type glue.
thanks!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillysmommy

Just wondering, if you can dissolve a little gumpaste or fondant in water to make glue for sticking embellishments, why would you ever need to make a glue with that Tylose stuff?
sorry if I'm being naive, just want to know the benefits of the tylose type glue.
thanks!

Yes, you can also put a little gp in water until it dissolves and use that. Many people do. I used to until I found this 'recipe' from Aine2. I prefer it to the gp diluted glue. Tylose is one of the indredients used to make gp (sometimes gum tragacanth is used instead). I find the tylose glue is a bit thicker and less likely to run so it works well for me. It all depends on what works best for your needs.

HTH

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_2th_fairy

I just watched Aine2's video on how to make edible sugar glue. Thank you so much for sharing that great bit of information. Your figures are amazing! I just have 2 quick questions...how long does the edible sugar glue last? I know you said that it has to be refrigerated over night, but after that what is its longevity? Does it still need to be refrigerated?

My other question is if this sugar glue can be used with gum paste figurines, too? Thanks again!

I use this glue because it is very strong and as I make figures ALL the time then I find it the best one for me personally. It isn't my recipe but a popular glue used by many sugar crafters and worth passing on, especially if you are using it on a daily basis. It is easily stored and ready to use whenever you need it. It should be changed weekly if you are using it regularly but can be kept up to a month in the fridge if you are only using it now and again. I change mine weekly because my brush is never out of the pot and the glue becomes dull. Only a tiny amount is needed to make the fondant tacky for the best results. There are many options for gluing your models but for strength and long lasting results I find this one the best. thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 18

Hi, Lorraine.

Glad to see you here. It's been a while. But I've been watching your Youtube videos (as a matter of fact, I just joined - finally - so I can now give you all those stars that you so deserve (you and tonedna) for your wonderful tutorials).

Hope all is well and again, thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

mona1949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mona1949 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aine2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_2th_fairy

I use this glue because it is very strong and as I make figures ALL the time then I find it the best one for me personally. It isn't my recipe but a popular glue used by many and worth passing on, especially if you are using it on a daily basis. It is easily stored and ready to use whenever you need it. It should be changed weekly if you are using it regularly but can be kept up to a month in the fridge if you are only using it now and again. I change mine weekly because my brush is never out of the pot and the glue becomes dull. Only a tiny amount is needed to make the fondant tacky for the best results. There are many options for gluing your models but for strength and long lasting results I find this one the best. thumbs_up.gif

Aine2,

I have purchased your tutorials and love them. I wish you would make DVD's. I would be first in line to purchase them. You are so talented.

icon_biggrin.gif

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 18

Cheers ladies! icon_wink.gif I haven't had a lot of time to read the forums so a quick search for my name and I usually find any queries I have missed! I do check my mail though so if you need my attention it's best to drop me a line there. I almost missed this forum post today. I'm having a little browsing time right now.

Next year I will have some new projects and other things up my sleeve so I am hearing all you say, honestly. Thank you so much for your constant support. I really do appreciate it more than you know. thumbs_up.gif

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 18

i second the dvd request. i would buy it in a heartbeat

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:30pm
post #14 of 18

I am wondering how you make this glue exactly as I have a cake due on friday with some palm trees on it and I was thinking this would help the leaves stick to each other right? Thanks for any help!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

I am wondering how you make this glue exactly as I have a cake due on friday with some palm trees on it and I was thinking this would help the leaves stick to each other right? Thanks for any help!

Here ya go:

TheCakerator Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:27am
post #16 of 18

thank you sugar plum .. if I was going to use fondant and warm water, how much fondant would I use to get the right consistency? Thanks again!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #17 of 18

You're welcome, Cakerator. I've never used it with fondant, only gumpaste. I guess it was a pea sized piece of gp to about 2 tbsp of water. I don't think I ever measured it. Maybe somebody else knows for sure.

TheCakerator Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #18 of 18

ok thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%