First Wedding Cake Disaster!

Decorating By rvercher23 Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm by jennifer7777

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 30

Okay, I am so mad at myself right now. I was delivering a cake to a wedding I had today and some jerk cut me off, so I had to slam on my brakes, well when I did that the cake fell over and fell into the grooms cake. My heart sank to the floor. I rushed home, make a quick dummy cake as close as I could to the brides cake and tried to fix the grooms cake. I cant believe this happened. Luckily my husband runs the country club where the wedding was at, so he was able to help me. The cake is still servable my husband said they will just cut it in the back and serve it when it is time. This is like my worst fear coming true. I hope this never happens again. I am going to give them a full refund, I couldnt live with myself if I didnt.

29 replies
karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 30

I'm so sorry -- I think this is every decorator's worst nightmare. I'm sending you thoughts of encouragement and empathy.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 30

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I feel your pain! I had a cake disaster today too (another car slammed into me from behind) and I'm still licking my wounds. Luckily I was able to redo the bottom tier that crumbled so no cake was lost in fact they had extra cake. It just breaks your heart when it happens but I suppose we have to move on.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 30

OH my gosh, I am SOOO sorry this happened to you.

I do want to caution you though against a full refund. It sounds as if they still got a pretty (and close to their design) cake for pictures and plenty of cake for serving in the flavors they wanted, so maybe just a partial refund or % off anniversary cake instead. If the cake had not been servable at all, I'd be more willing to give full refund.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 2:04am
post #5 of 30

I feel ya!! Had my first slider in March because I had to slam on my brakes. The cake didn't topple, but the top layer of the bottom tier slid across the bottom layer ... about 1-2" worth. No way to save it. It was still servable ... but not displayable.

The couple had a 3 tier cake instead of a 4 tier cake on display. We served the bottom tier from the kitchen and I still deducted $200 (the value of the bottom tier) from her balance. (But they were sweethearts and tipped my crew $200 for the great job they did!)

rvercher23 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 30

Ok. An update on my sticky situation. My husband saved my butt. He said that the couple never even knew that the cake was a dummy. They never knew anything happend. They still got to eat their cake and were happy. I couldnt believe that he didnt even tell him. I asked him how he went about getting throught the cake cutting ceremony with out cutting the cake. He told me that he talked to the photographer and had them mock the cake cutting and he already had 2 pieces behind the cake so they could feed it to each other. When it was time to carry the cake to the kitchen so it could be cut, him and another employee picked up the cake and acted like it was really heavy and carried it to the kitchen. Once in the back, they cut and served the original cake. I was so relieved. It was funny because he said he was trying to get the bride drunk so she wouldnt know that it wasnt the cake she ordered. He also wanted to wait until everyone was drunk and come out of the kitchen holding the dummy cake in one hand and freak all the drunk people out, but he didnt. I don't know how he did it but he saved me this time.

sillychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillychick Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 30

That's awesome, what a great save! Better give that hubby a big hug, or um, well, something else! icon_eek.gif

My husband has proven to be invaluable in times of cake crisis, glad yours was too!

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 30

What a DH!!! You were double blessed by this, the Bride never knew and your DH was able to be your hero! I'm glad that all is well! thumbs_up.gif

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 30

Hahaha..your DH is to funny!

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 30

Give that man a huge kiss icon_biggrin.gif I am so glad it turned out well for you.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 30

Your husband is awsome.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 30

lucky! my disaster cake would have been a disaster cake!

glad it work out so well for you!!!

darn other drivers when we are trying to deliver a wedding cake!

melody

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 30

I second that your DH is AWsome. You need to give him some major love for this...thank goodness he was there! Wow

I always put the sticker I got on CC that says "Caution Wedding Cake On Board" when I drive cakes, and I drive like a granny, but I'm always afraid some idiot will still cause an accident.

Wonder if we could send these idiot drivers the bill for the ruined cakes, when they cause wedding disasters on the road?

rvercher23 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 30

Well, I have decided that I will never transport a stacked cake again, as long as I live. It is just not that important to me as getting the cake there in one piece. Yeah, my husband is a total lifesaver.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 30

I only do cakes for family and friends but when i'm delivering one I get so freaked out by the other drivers.

By my 3rd cake I put a sign on the back of my van that says " delivering cake...be patient or go around."

mad11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad11 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 30

I think it is great that your husband saved you, but I do not agree with deceiving the couple. They need to know what happened. You should contact the couple and let them know what happened. Tell them you are sorry to just now be telling them, but that you didn't want to put a damper on their day with the cake disaster. Not telling them is not good business practice.

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 30

No harm no foul, ignorance is bliss icon_biggrin.gif

mad11 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 8:47pm
post #18 of 30

I hope people I deal with have a more ethical view of business.

rvercher23 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad11

I hope people I deal with have a more ethical view of business.

How I handle my business has nothing to do with how you think I should do business. How in the world do you know if I am ethical or not. I have taken care of my issues concerning this problem, it does not concern you at all. You shouldnt criticize people on how you think they should be. I posted my story so hopefully people can learn from my mistakes. Be carefeul of how you treat your fellow members.

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:08pm
post #20 of 30

The happy couple was glad that everything went smoothly. Why ruin that for them? They had their cake and ate it too. What they don't know won't hurt them.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:10pm
post #21 of 30

My mother always told me that honesty is the best policy. If it were you would you have wanted to know? If it were me I say, "Yes".

Of course no one can tell you how to run your business. To me, you would get accolades for being upfront and honest. And who knows, it may come out. Would it not look better for you to be the one telling???

I would not have told at the wedding, but after the honeymoon I would have fessed up and offered a future discount just because.

But, I guess to you all is fair in love and cake.

cakeymom

rvercher23 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:17pm
post #22 of 30

I am going to clear a few things up. I talked to bride days ago. I called her. She didnt have a problem with it, I offered to give her a refund, but she wouldnt take it. She loved everything about the cakes. Flavor and look. She totally understood about everything. I am an ethical person, for people to insinuate otherwise without even knowing is childish.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #23 of 30

Honey, you did the right thing..... why ruin their special day ? I hope you and they can all laugh about it in the future.......

Chokogal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chokogal Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:38pm
post #24 of 30

Wow, disaster turned piece of mind.
The sticker on the car is a great idea.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:38pm
post #25 of 30

When you placed a topic out on, "How do I?" It is a question.

Others gave input on how THEY would handle the situation. It was not an attack on you or how your run your business. You said that you would give a FULL refund. Others said that they would not tell, give a partial refund, or give a discount on a future order.

Some of the responses were not aimed at you, they were aimed at others that responded, since this is an exchange of ideas.

So, at the end of the day the bride was happy because she did not know, and there was no need in ruining her day. Later you rectified the problem by telling her. Fine.

The bride was happy and you did what any responsible business owner would do and it worked out

thumbs_up.gif

mad11 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:41pm
post #26 of 30

Cakeymom, exactly! I would not have ruined their wedding, but would have told them after everything was said and done.

I'm not telling anyone how to run their business and I didn't think I was treating anyone on here badly. I just know that lying and deceit is unethical in my book. I understand everyone's ethics are different. I had issued with my wedding cake that were told to me AFTER the wedding and I was so thankful for the honesty.

rvercher23 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #27 of 30

I wasnt aware that I posted in the "How Do I" section, I am still trying to learn how to do everything on this site!!!!!

mad11 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 9:44pm
post #28 of 30

Btw, rvercher23, my comment made earlier today was not aimed at you. I am sorry it offended you.

rvercher23 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad11

Btw, rvercher23, my comment made earlier today was not aimed at you. I am sorry it offended you.

Thanks for clearing that up.......Ever since this weekend, I have been so stressed!!!!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #30 of 30

Wow...what a story. Glad it worked out in the end. I'm amazed that you were able to have the accident and have time to do a dummy cake for presentation. Your hubby helped tremendously, but you sure have "think on your feet" wit, too. You both worked well together.

You know, with the whole idea of telling what happened...that issue can obviously be so varied by opinion. Let's think...we are cake decorators. A lot of what we do is covering mistakes, which is the cool part of honing your skills and seeing how really good you are!

How many times has anyone had a crack/dent/or any kind of mess-up that you were able to camoflauge/cover?
Would you tell the customer..."well this flower is right here because I accidently poked a hole in the cake with my finger" or "did you know I had to bake this cake 2 times and still cut off brown edges to present it to you"?

Honestly, not everything NEEDS to be told, but it just depends on the case and the person. If our customers knew half of the stuff we went through just to give them a nice looking, tasty cake!...A lot of our business would be spent making disclaimers.

If rvercher23 would've said she didn't tell the bride, I wouldn't have thought anything of it...but the fact that she did is cool too. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%