Wedding Cake For A Friend... (So Irritated!)

Business By something_sweet Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 11:57am by vickymacd

something_sweet Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 10

So, a friend of my sister's, whom I also know but not as closely, is getting married next weekend. As a "gift" I offered to make them a small, simple wedding cake for a discounted rate. They happily accepted the offer, but have been a gigantic pain ever since!!!
I was originally told 25-30 guests and the original offer I made was for this many people. They are now saying that they think it will be more like 40-50, so they will need a sheet cake, BUT they want to just get one at Wal-mart, not from me! I don't serve my cakes at weddings where cakes from other stores or decorators are also being served. Plus, I felt like it was very disrespectful for them to not give me the business when I made them a generous offer to begin with.
They also recently told me that the "simple" cake that I offered them isn't what they want. I was planning on just a stacked cake, so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting equipment back from them, with ribbon and a monogram. They want a tiered cake and all this other stuff that wasn't in my offer, and at no point have they offered to give me any extra money for doing any of this. The best part is, if I hadn't offered to do this for them, they may have not even had a wedding cake!
Because my sister is closer friends with this couple, she has been helping me communicate with them (because they call her and not me). I have not agreed with any of the requests that they have made, but I am honestly ready to tell them I am unable to do it. The wedding is next Saturday (the 26th), but nothing is set in stone, not even the flavors... and I have a lot of other cakes to work on this week, I don't have time to mess with their drama!
I want to just tell them that Wal-mart does wedding cakes too and get them out of my hair, but I don't know how to handle this appropriately since I DID make the offer! tapedshut.gif

9 replies
costumeczar Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 10

Whatever you decide, tell them TODAY so that they have time to order something else. Personally, I'd tell them that the original offer is what it is, and that's what you have time to do.

If they don't even bother to call you directly, why do they think that you'll bend over backward to accomodate their extra requests? Tell them that this is the cake you'll make, and they can take it or leave it.

Also, if you really don't want another sheet cake there, I'd tell them that they need to get the whole thing from someone else. Just tell them soon so that they do have time to figure something else out.

michellenj Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of 10

That is really tough. Things might go a little bit better the next time if you deal with the couple directly. The couple probably wouldn't have the balls to ask for so much if they were talking directly to you.

I agree w/ czar. The offer stands as-is. You have other cakes and can't do all the other stuff.

Good luck!

indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:39am
post #4 of 10

I'll never understand those folks who, when offered a free/discounted cake for 30, suddenly think they can increase it to 75 at no extra charge! icon_confused.gif

jo_ann Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #5 of 10

I had a friend order a wedding cake for her sil. I gave her a great discount(cost) even though the wedding was less than 2 weeks away.Groom was going to boot camp and they wanted to be married asap. Bride all of a sudden wanted to change the design and number of servings, etc.
When I called my friend and explained what was happening, said. Heck no, this is what we discussed, this is what we agreed on and this is what they are getting. If she wants to change the design and servings then charge her 1 and 1/2 what you normally charge, she's darn lucky she's getting a cake.

poshcakedesigns Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:10am
post #6 of 10

I'd call them ASAP and talk to them directly. Tell them what they want is not what you offered and if additions are to be added that a charge will be applied. I would also tell them the design/flavors etc. have to be agreed upon by a certain date. Even though you are doing this as a gift I'd still write up a contract and have them sign it.

I just don't understand people - you give them something FREE and they still want more.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #7 of 10

IMO the entire problem here is that there is a "middle man"....NEVER EVER deal with a customer through someone else.

You offer was a cake for about 30 people....if they want more they can pay for it or go somewhere else but you need to tell them whatever you decide YOURSELF.

Knowing my own sister she would be like "of course my sister will do it...not problem...I'll talk to her" and then I'd have to kick her keester! LOL tapedshut.gif

isista Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 10:48am
post #8 of 10

Also agree with poshcakedesigns, call them. Tell them again about your original offer and if something extra is requested , they need to pay for the expenses. They must also be informed that they are not the only order that you are dealing with, tell them about your schedule etc., if they are not taking it they can leave it and go to a market...

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:29am
post #9 of 10

Just simply prepare two invoices with a little sketch of each of the cakes.

On one have the original deal show the real price and the discount.

On the other have thier design changes show the real price and apply the previous discount still showing the balance due.

Leave the questions on there like flavor_____________?? and stuff like that.

That's fair and business like and sidesteps a lot of drama.

vickymacd Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 11:57am
post #10 of 10

I like what k8memphis said.

I feel for all of you wonderful people who try and help out a friend and then it usually turns sour! It's easy for us to tell you what to say and do, but it's not that easy to actually do it! Probably why I'm not in the decorating business! I couldn't handle this stuff.
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%