How Do I Make These Fondant/gumpaste Animals?

Decorating By mommy_of_3_DDs Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm by MacsMom

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 10

I have a request for this cake
but layed out like this cake
My question is how do I make the fondant/gumpaste animals that sit on top. Also any other suggestions would be gladly appreciated... I am still very new to this...

9 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 10

The easiest way to learn fondant animals is to buy a clay figures book in the clay aisle. There are many good ones out there with step by step instructions. Then substitute fondant for clay and you're in! On those, the stitching is done with the stitching wheel and the eyes look like dots of food color done with a toothpick. Bodies, heads and ears are done in balls which are elongated or flattened and the limbs are ropes (think clay snakes.) Probably glued together with gum glue (1/4 tsp fondant to 1 tbsp water.) Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeWhizz Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 10

I think you should contact a fellow CCer called Lorraine (her user name is aine2). She is the queen of modelling. She also has some free tutorials on this site and you can see some of her videos on you tube. Some of her web pages are

MacsMom Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 10

In addition, I use toothpicks to support large parts, like the heads. I use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant so they dry faster.

tracycakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 10

I agree wtih everyone's advice, get a sculpey clay book, watch Aine2 videos and practice. I made my first animals using this information and it taught be alot. I used them on a Noah's Ark cake that it is my pics.

Good Luck and have fun! I can't draw or sculpt but I thought my animals came out pretty good (except for the elephant which I tried to hide icon_lol.gif ).

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 10

One more question how long do they take to dry? I was going to use straight gumpaste I think that way they will dry really hard... what do you think?
The baby shower is Aug 16 and I have a wedding cake due the 26th of July so I wanted to wait till that is done if possible... if not I will start now on making them... I know I need to practice now... but for the final how long do they take to dry?

Thanks for all the advise! Can I get a clay book at Michaels?

tracycakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy_of_3_DDs

One more question how long do they take to dry? I was going to use straight gumpaste I think that way they will dry really hard... what do you think?
The baby shower is Aug 16 and I have a wedding cake due the 26th of July so I wanted to wait till that is done if possible... if not I will start now on making them... I know I need to practice now... but for the final how long do they take to dry?

Thanks for all the advise! Can I get a clay book at Michaels?

Depending on how big they are, 2 days to a week should be sufficient so you have plenty of time.

Yes, you can get clay books at Michaels. It has become my new favorite place to look for fondant and gumpaste tools. Just wash them well.

mazaryk Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 10

FYI: Another place to look for a clay sculpting book is at your local library. I found some in the children's book section for animals and even one on fairies.

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 10

AWESOME suggestion about the library... I guess me and the girls need to go tomorrow!

MacsMom Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 10

I don't see why they really need to dry, unless you have to allow certain parts of it to dry before adding others for stability.

I made half of the animals on my Noah's Ark cake just hours before I delivered it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%