Plese Help - Tiered Cake!!!

Decorating By clopin0 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm by clopin0

clopin0 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 4

I've only made a couple of tiered cakes, so I'm not that experienced with them. One of the things that I hate about them is how the icing sort of peels off the bottom tier so that those who eat the bottom tier have little or no icing on the top of their cake. Does anyone know how to keep the icing from peeling? I have an event tomorrow, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
indydebi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 4

Are you using a crusting buttercream icing? If so, just wait until the icing crusts before assembling your cake. My icing crusts very well and I never have "sticky icing" issues.

You can also cut your dowels just ever so slightly higher than the top of your icing on the bottom tier. Then when the next tier sits on top of it, it's not actually touching the icing. Any gap an be filled with with the ribbon or border that goes on the bottom of the tier.

Some folks put a piece of parchment between the tiers. Some put a coating of powdered sugar. Some suggest coconut, but I caution against that.... as a coconut HATER, I would demand a full refund if my cake had one flake of coconut on it.

southerncake Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 4

I use the SPS system, so I don't have this problem anymore, but when I used dowels, I would would dust the top of the tier heavily with powdered sugar before placing the next cake on top.

clopin0 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 4

What is the SPS system?

Also, I'm not doing a large tiered cake. It's just going to be 2 single-layer sheet cakes (one 9x13 and one 12x1icon_cool.gif. Do you think I need the board for the 9x13 or could I get away with just placing it on top of the 12x18 if I dust the top of the 12x18 with powdered sugar?

Quote by @%username% on %date%