Does Anyone Not Offer American Buttercream?

Business By mom42ws Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:27am by lilthorner

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #61 of 107

Wow, glad I found this post! I just tried the Easy Meringue Buttercream Recipe from here, for the first time on my whole family. Haven't heard anything but good responses, but I did use salted butter, and noticed it was too salty (IMO). I did love it much better than powdered sugar method, and it was really nice not to have to clean up the mess from the PS/shortening! Jkalman, I will definitely try your recipe! I did find the finished product was a bit soft, and am wondering if I didn't beat the egg whites long enough? Overall, definitely a convert!

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:16pm
post #62 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I always recommend Martha's SMBC recipe to those who are making it for the first time. Her instructions are clear and concise, and nobody I have recommended it to has come back to me and complained about the technique or taste.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.aced15a43a1d10e593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=59dbcf06cd80f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ab3c61876e70f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=print&rsc=communitytools_food&lnc=5a79cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&page=1

I suggest that after learning how to make it correctly, then experiment with other SMBC recipes, until you find the one you like best.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I wonder why Martha's recipe says it's good for up to 3 days in the fridge and not at room temp like other SMBC recipes I've seen.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:23pm
post #63 of 107

Question.....
The crusting factor of pwd sug buttercream makes it easier to smooth, ie sugarshack et al. What methods, if any can you use to smooth this nicely??
thanks!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #64 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

Question.....
The crusting factor of pwd sug buttercream makes it easier to smooth, ie sugarshack et al. What methods, if any can you use to smooth this nicely??
thanks!

I believe I read in her other post with the pictures of the process that a warm not HOT bench scraper was used....Correct me if I'm wrong....I so want to try this..I do use Hi Ratio but I do all my smootjing ect like Sugarshack does. I don't know if I can get it REALY smooth.......What to do What to do......
OK I'll consider it!!

woodthi32 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:07pm
post #65 of 107

hm, oh. I Missed thaticon_smile.gif
I love all frostings!! Including pwd sugar ones!
I wish I had time to just experiment. I have made meringue BCs before, but never when I had to have them perfect, on an important cake.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #66 of 107

I LOVE SMBC but, I cannot get people to order it..I offer it as a choice...
Lately what I have been doing to cut the butteryness a little is to mix like 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar recipe into my SMBC...that really makes it taste yummy and people seem to like it a lot!!

woodthi32 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #67 of 107

good idea, and I bet it makes it a tad more stable........

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #68 of 107

I use Duff's recipe - you don't have to cook it at all, I use pasteurized egg whites from the carton.

Everytime I try a recipe that needs to be "cooked" I ruin the batch, the sugar crystalizes, it takes soooooo long to make - WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??

I have never had trouble with it until this summer - it just seems so hot I am constantly worried about it melting off. I never had this fear before, my cousin's wedding is coming up in August, very simple stacked squares covered in fondant, nothing crazy - and I am a mess worried that it will be a big melted mess!!!

I have reached the point I wish I COULD go back to the other buttercream because I did not have to worry about it and I could color it however I want. I can't get the IMBC to color - I use Americolor liquid - am I using the wrong thing?

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:16pm
post #69 of 107

[quote="SweetResults"]I use Duff's recipe - you don't have to cook it at all, I use pasteurized egg whites from the carton.

quote]

So what is his recipe? Where can I find it??

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #70 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandica12182

I LOVE SMBC but, I cannot get people to order it..I offer it as a choice...
Lately what I have been doing to cut the butteryness a little is to mix like 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar recipe into my SMBC...that really makes it taste yummy and people seem to like it a lot!!

I've added powdered sugar to mine as well and really like it!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #71 of 107

I always follow the recipe and use unsalted butter. Still too butter for my taste. Love to work with it though.

jnet72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnet72 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #72 of 107

I am very new to decorating and have tried IMBC twice. I LOVED the flavor and texture, but could not get strong colors. I use Wilton colors and it seemed like no matter how much I added, the colors would only go to pastel. I couldn't get vibrant colors at all! Is there a trick or a certain type of color I need to use to get vibrant colors with IMBC?

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #73 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnet72

I am very new to decorating and have tried IMBC twice. I LOVED the flavor and texture, but could not get strong colors. I use Wilton colors and it seemed like no matter how much I added, the colors would only go to pastel. I couldn't get vibrant colors at all! Is there a trick or a certain type of color I need to use to get vibrant colors with IMBC?

Thats a great question! Doesn't the Whimsical Bakehouse use SMBC and their colors are as vibrant as anything I've ever seen. Can someone who is familiar with SMBC or IMBC tell us about tips to getting vibrant colors??

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #74 of 107
Quote:

Try using Americolor. Wilton colors aren't very bright, even with regular old ps buttercream...

loriemoms Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #75 of 107
Quote:

Try using Americolor. Wilton colors aren't very bright, even with regular old ps buttercream...

oboemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oboemommy Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #76 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Just curious, from those IMBC and SMBC users: Do any of you use the rose dowel technique, rather than using a tip. Does IMBC pipe firm enough to make roses on a dowl (like the Youtube video).....?

I tried the dowel method with SMBC. It was a little tricky, but I found that if I chilled the icing for a minute (not too long or it will harden), I could make roses. Otherwise, the roses would slide down or fall apart when I tried to remove them from the dowel.

As for coloring, I read on another tread that candy colorings (oil based) are better than the gels. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I plan on it. Here's the thread (jkalman posted helpful pics for those making SMBC for the first time): http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=594605&postdays=0

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:15pm
post #77 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

What's your recipe? Maybe we can help you.

Same here! Its too humid here for use it for wedding cakes and I don't have walk in fridge to keep the cakes in! (I have a dedicated fridge, which will hold two cakes tiered cakes, tops!)

I would love to see a stablized recipe!

Lorie, I have the same problem (maybe it's because we are only 30 minutes away from one another with the same humidity problem)!

I would love to try a really, really great recipe that some of the PPs can recommend!

I am glad to see I am not alone! I don't know anyone in our area that isnt doing some sort of variation of buttercream....I just don't think the eggwhite/sugar based frostings like humidity!!

Sorry to break this to you all, but I am right over in Chapel Hill and we do all European buttercreams. Mostly IMBC, but for outdoor weddings, the german kind with the poured fondant in it holds very well.

Same here, I'm in Raleigh and I only use SMBC, it's the best, and I have used it for outdoor cakes to.

Maria_Campos Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #78 of 107
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I always recommend Martha's SMBC recipe to those who are making it for the first time. Her instructions are clear and concise, and nobody I have recommended it to has come back to me and complained about the technique or taste.

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.aced15a43a1d10e593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=59dbcf06cd80f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ab3c61876e70f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=print&rsc=communitytools_food&lnc=5a79cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&page=1

I suggest that after learning how to make it correctly, then experiment with other SMBC recipes, until you find the one you like best.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Can you make this with the egg whites from the carton?

I use eggwhites in the green & white carton from walmart, come out great everytime. Can't remember the brand.

Maria_Campos Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #79 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Quote:

Thats a great question! Doesn't the Whimsical Bakehouse use SMBC and their colors are as vibrant as anything I've ever seen. Can someone who is familiar with SMBC or IMBC tell us about tips to getting vibrant colors??

The Whimsical Bakehouse uses the candy color for the buttercream for a more vivid color, it's oiled based unlike the gels.

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #80 of 107

i don't know about anyone else, but i think making IMBC is easier. you just start the process and leave the mixer running. aside from the sugar/water, it practically makes itself.

i mixed some with nutella for a dinner party this weekend and everyone just started asking for spoons of it; they didn't even want the cupcakes! it is pretty heavenly!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:52pm
post #81 of 107

SMBC is like eating ice cream. soooo good. jkalman had really won me over. icon_smile.gif it's all I'm gonna make now.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:02pm
post #82 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I wish I could offer something else, but under the Ohio Cottage Laws, I can't sell anything that needs to be refrigerated. Darn!

My understanding is that you can use it. It doesn't need to be refrigerated and can be left at RT for quite a few days.

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #83 of 107

can I cover the cake with SMBC and then cover it with fondant?

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 23 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #84 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovy

can I cover the cake with SMBC and then cover it with fondant?

I've done SMBC a couple of times and I like the flavor much better than regular crisco/ butter BC, but I was scared to cover my cakes with fondant on Friday night for Saturday delivery as I normally do for wedding cakes.

How do people that use fondant with SMBC do it?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 12:03am
post #85 of 107

I'm an exclusive SMBC user and cover almost all my wedding cakes in fondant. You chill the buttercreamed cake completely before fondanting and it gets hard as a rock. I don't know how you'd cover a cake any other way!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:01am
post #86 of 107

SMBC is an easy process too.. you just whisk the eggs for a little bit over the boiling water then plop it on the mixer.. no worries about sugar crystals forming if you get the sugar on the beaters. I think it's just what you are used to really. I have done it both ways and find both quite easy to prepare.. I just hate pouring that hot sugar in the tiny space between the mixer bowl and the whisk.

I use it all the time under fondant.. just like KoryAK does.. smooth the cake.. chill it.. then cover with fondant. Easy as pie.. or should I say piece of cake? icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #87 of 107

I think the big question was is it safe to cover a cake with fondant and let it sit overnight with the SMBC under it, in RT....or does it have to be in the fridge.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #88 of 107
Quote:

I think the big question was is it safe to cover a cake with fondant and let it sit overnight with the SMBC under it, in RT....or does it have to be in the fridge.

yes, that's what I meant.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #89 of 107

Wow, thanks for this thread! It's given me the courage to try again.
I've known about the "other side" but have only tried once (Alton Brown's recipe) and it failed miserably. I had a class where they made IMBC and it was very tan/yellow and tasted like a stick of butter. My DH loved it though. I'll try an SMBC next.

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #90 of 107

This is my plan...
I will bake it on saturday, cover it with SMBC on saturday night, chill it, cover the cake with fondant on sunday, decorate it and back in the fridge until monday morning.

Should I put it back in the fridge after covering with fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%