Help! I'm A 10 Yr. Old Baker In A Crisis!

Decorating By CupcakePrincess986 Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm by CupcakePrincess986

CupcakePrincess986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakePrincess986 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 5

I baked a cake 4 a friend. And used fondant to cover the cake and 4 decorations.There are a lot of cracks in the fondant and the cake is very uneven!(2 tier cake) My friends b-day is tomorrow(July 20) so I still
have some time to make a new one. And can u use small fondant decorations over frosting!?I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! HELP! icon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 5

it's ok. Deep breath. You can use fondant decorations on buttercream. I use a brush and wet the back of the fondant piece before placing it on the sides of the cake. In my pics the grad cake is buttercream with fondant stripes and diamonds and pearls.

HTH

Judi

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 5

You can add a bit of shortening to your fondant to make it smoother and not have cracks. If you are stacking cakes, trim off any "bumps and bulges" to make it level. Also, be sure to put some kind of support into the first tier and put a cake board under the top tier, on top of the support (you can use straws that have been cut the same height as the cake for support). Yes, just put a bit of water or buttercream on the back of the fondant pieces to stick to the buttercream.

You are a very talented young lady. I am very impressed by your pictures! I have a granddaughter your age and she's no where near as good as you are!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 5

Can you still use the cake that you baked? Take the fondant off, level the cakes (use a leveler or a ruler), then either re-frost it with buttercream and just use the fondant as accents or, roll out some new fondant.

Are you using homemade fondant or one of the brands (Wilton, SatinIce, etc). I know some people use a bit of crisco when they are rolling it out to help keep it from getting dried out.

What are you using for support between the two tiers? You've got plenty of time... you'll get this done!

Denise

CupcakePrincess986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakePrincess986 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 5

icon_biggrin.gif Thank You for your comments and encouragement princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%