Question Regarding Residential Kitchen Licensure In Ca

Business By Desicakes Updated 19 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm by FromScratch

Desicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Desicakes Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 2

Hello all,

I currently own an event services business and would like to expand to include cakes. My friends and family have been urging me to add cakes since it is a hobby of mine, but I've been reluctant as the requirements are not entirely clear.

While I will continue to research whether or not a home occupation food business is allowed here in Southern California, I'm curious to know what the implications are for conducting the business without this licensure? Is licensure only required for commercial or larger scale output of cakes? My business is very part time--as would be the cakes--as I have a full time career in another field. I can't imagine that I would do more than even one cake per month and my business is largely based on referrals from friends and family at this time as well.

Obviously I prefer to obtain a license as this will only add credibility to my business. If for some reason that's not a viable option then it would be helpful to consider what the risks or consequences may be if I were to try to run a small scale business without one.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice! icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 2

There are great risks to flying under the radar. The biggest I see is not being able to obtain liability insurance to protect yourself should someone get sick from your cakes. You can get fined.. face jail time (this would be extreme but possible).

I do know that it is illegal in all of Cali to offer foods cooked in your home kitchen for sale to the public and they are strict with that. Licensure is required regardless of how big or small you are. You would have to rent a commercial kitchen.

Do people do it? Yes, but to me it's not worth the risk. It would only take one person suing you to break you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%