Strange Request For A Tattoo Cake!

Decorating By Dee1219 Updated 24 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm by Dee1219

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 31

Ok so I have a request for tattoo cake! Yeah, weird! And this is for her wedding cake!! Does anyone have any pictures of such a cake? I have searched the web and have not found anything, she wants the "tattoo" colors like the blues and reds that are typically used. She wants two sparrows with wings up and a heart with one of those scrolls across the heart with their names on it. I drew up the design (which took me forever) and I am waiting for an ok. I was going to Airbrush it on there but then she told me she wanted this cake for Wednesday! Yes this Wednesday! So I am bringing my colored design to a grocery store and having them print it out as an eatable image. Any photos that you may come across would be great, I really need some ideas for the sides and a border. She really likes the roses as well. TIA!

30 replies
doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 31

Wow that is going to be a head scratcher for me. Heres a bump to keep you out there. I would talk more with the bride and possibly draw a cake design to show what she wants and where she wants it. Sorry no help here. icon_sad.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 31

I had to do a tatoo cake for a anniversary of a local tatoo studio. It was a sheet cake though, so it had random "old school" tatoos scattered around. It's posted here, but I don't think it's what you're looking for. I found a lot of ideas online. People ask for the darndest things on a cake sometimes!

alaskagirl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alaskagirl3 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 31

Maybe you can do a vine with roses as the border "old school" tattoo look to it?

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 31

have you thought about searching online for tatoo art and using a picture from there? you can get flash art online for tats! and the sparrow/heart one is pretty common. GOOD LUCK!! sounds neat!

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 31

your post reminded me of two things one a cupcake i saw on bakerella's blog see below, and the idea of just piping( in the colours requested), like the henna tattoo cakes seen on charm city cakes, there is lots of clip art and magazines and photos of tatoos and you could pipe them on a cake and it might look quite elegant go to flickr and search tatto cakes there are a few ideas good luck
LL

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 31

This is from Bakerella's website:
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2008/05/hey-mom-i-got-tattoo.html

Its not cake, its cupcakes, but maybe it will give you an idea???

***I should have finished reading the post, lol***
Great minds think alike!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 31

I remember seeing a cake here on CC -- it was a heart shaped cake turned upside down so the point was at the top. For the bottom, she put on fondant blue jean cutoffs and did a tattoo right above the waistline, like in the small of her back area. It was a pretty cool cake actually. You'll have to search the galleries for it -- I don't remember who made it. Hope that gives you some ideas though! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 31
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 31

Here's such an awesome Rockabilly/Sailor Jerry tattoo cake a lady made for her friends. My husband and I wished we'd thought of it for our wedding...we loved it!!

Of course, this is quite small...but could be added to accent larger cake(s).

HTH
LL

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:41pm
post #11 of 31

My first thought too was of the butt cakes, or even a boostier (sp?) cake, since ladies do find ways of getting tatoos on their bums or bosoms!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 31

Call me crazy, but reading this got me a little teary-eyed. The tattoo that you described sounds like the one my dad got on his arm when he was in the Navy. Dad passed away 8 years ago. Perhaps the bride has similar memories of a loved one?

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 31

you can get alot of ideas if you google "sparrow tattoo"
and like the previous posted pics, I think if it were painted on fondant, it would look very much like a tattoo.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 31

I thought this was an odd request but when I looked up sparrow tattoos out curiosity I found this. "Sparrows symbolize love, dedication and trust. Sparrows mate for life and will always return home no matter how far they travel. They should always be tattooed in pairs." So if you like tattoos this is very appropriate for a wedding.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:19am
post #15 of 31

oops...stupid thing posted twice...lol

thedessertdiva Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:19am
post #16 of 31

I think this is kind of the idea she was looking for. This is not my tattoo, but I have one similar to it across my sholders. Very Sailor Jerry...(I am an old skool rockabilly chick...lol)

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #17 of 31

These cakes are fab, the first one is my fave for a wedding icon_smile.gif

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #18 of 31

shola, I love both of those cakes and Narie, thanks for the explanation of the sparrows, I love the symbolism. Please post your cake, I bet it will be awesome, great theme!

Dee1219 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #19 of 31

OMG I love you all!!!!!! Your the best!! I will take all of these ideas and mix them all up, what wonderful people to use your time and find these for me!! I am so excited!! THANKYOU!!!

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 4:40am
post #20 of 31

not sure if anyone thought of this, or how big the cake is, but if it's multy tiered stacked or something, maybe a "tattoo" barbed wire or tribal design around the cake??? on one of the cakes that doesn't have anything. just a thought if you were still searching for ideas!!!

Dee1219 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #21 of 31

I am always searching for ideas!! She decided on a 3 tier cake 10, 8, 6 all 3" cakes. I am going to "tattoo" a sparrow on the top tier side and use fondant for the scroll and put a heart in the middle tier having the scroll go through it and then a bird on the bottom. I am going to do an eatable image of the birds and put them on fondant then do the heart the same way and the scroll will be 3D looking. What do you think?? I am doing plain white roses on the top, she said to be creative, but I fear there will be to much color.

thedessertdiva Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #22 of 31

Tattoo's are REALLY colorful. Thats the point. You want to be able to see them. Specially the really elementary tattoos, those were full of colors. I think this sounds like a very awesome cake. She must have a really outgoing personality to want a cake like this. Have fun with it!

Narie Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:09pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

I am doing plain white roses on the top, she said to be creative, but I fear there will be to much color.

Actually, the opposite may happen. The tattoo will be very colorful and will really stand out, perhaps too much if everything else is white. You may need color in the flowers to balance everything.

Dee1219 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:04am
post #24 of 31

What colors would you recommend? The colors are just like the ones on the arm at the top of this page. Maybe yellow?

thedessertdiva Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 4:13am
post #25 of 31

Maybe the roses could have the tips dyed the colors that are in the sparrows (bright blue, red, yellow, orange), that way the colors tie into each other...just a thought. icon_wink.gif

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:21am
post #26 of 31

I wouldn't use the edible image on the fondant for the tattoos. I'd attempt to recreate them with food color, vanilla extract and a paint brush. It'll give it a very nice effect without risking the edible image not being flush on the fondant. Maybe use a flesh tone fondant for whatever is getting the tattoo. Just my thought. I love the ideas though. I can't wait to see the final pictures.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 5:38am
post #27 of 31

Google Ed Hardy and you will get tons of old school tat graphics. I would use melted chocolates to pipe the tattoos and attach to the sides, etc. I think it will give the depth and detail you are looking for and this medium is sturdy and consistent, albeit a pain in the butt to keep the chocolate warm but worth it, I think.

Sounds fun, I would love to do one of these cakes..... DH's b-day is in Nov. and I think I just figured out what the theme of his cake will be! Thanks icon_smile.gif

Narie Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #28 of 31

I was thinking that roses could be orangy red with tips yellow or the reverse. Sort of like the "Peace" rose only stronger colors. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/imgs/chicago-peace-rose.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.justourpictures.com/roses/chicago-peace-rose.html&h=563&w=750&sz=58&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=mQcuy0xxJujcVM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=141&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpeace%2Brose%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGLD,GGLD:2004-10,GGLD:en%26sa%3DN Actually, this rose is "Chicago Peace" which has the stronger colors than the original "Peace" rose.

Dee1219 Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #29 of 31

I am done!! Tell me what you think. I mixed advise from all of you my cc girls and just started working and it all fell into place! Thank you again for all the help! It in my photos it would not load on this page? Weird

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #30 of 31

Dee1210, that is such a great cake! How did the bride like it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%