Giant Cupcake Help!!!!

Baking By carrotspine Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 7:27am by carrotspine

carrotspine Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all
I've just bought the Wilton giant cupcake pan and successfully made the chocolate cake, using the recipe supplied with the pan, however Iam making two further cakes for mum and neice in the next couple of weeks and i am desperate for another recipe. I've tried a traditional victoria sponge but it was a disater as I just doubled the quantites and all the fat sank to the bottom, revolting! I'm in the UK and as the Wilton is from the US, I'm really struggling to get anything here. iIbasically need a lighter cake for both. My neice is having a pink cupcake party, so a pink receipe would be ideal, but I will be very very grateful for anything a bit lighter than the chocolate one (I loved it, but not sure that much chocolate would be great for the mini people at the parties!) I'm really really new at cake making a decorating too, but will gladly post on my pictures once I've mastered the art!!!!
Many many thanks in advance
Caroline xxxxx icon_surprised.gif

7 replies
Karema Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried the White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe. It taste great. You can also change the flavors by not using the almond. Using other extracts and other flavor cake mixes. Try it its really good. Type in WASC in the search and check the results for other flavor ideas. Good luck

kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8

Being as you are in the UK I can't help you much. Many of us use pkg'd cake mixes. I know you do have acces to them but probably are rather expensive icon_smile.gif
Have you tried a search on this site for a good white cake recipe? I'm sure there are many.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 8

Hello fellow Brit! For a pink cake, I recommend the 'strawberry cake from scratch' in the recipe section here, it's delicious - for our British palates though, it can be a little too sweet, so I've adapted it by cutting 1/4c of sugar and blitzing fresh strawberries to make the puree (no added sugar). You will need to buy the jelly crystals - not the sugar free kind, and not the jelly blocks. Just get yourself armed with a set of measuring cups (available in any decent supermarket), and you're all set! For a great tasting vanilla cake, I use the buttermilk birthday cake in Nigella Lawson's 'How to Eat' book. It's perfect for 3D pans. I can scan the recipe for you if you want it - just let me have your email address. Hope that helps!

carrotspine Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 8

Hi all, thanks for your advice. Bonjovibabe, could I possibly have the Nigella recipe, i have all her other book expect that one! My email is
[email protected] Many thanks.

I'll have a look through the site for white cake recipes, i think it's the terms used in the US for baking compared to the UK that's throwing me too, keep trying on google and ask for 10 -12 cup recipes, tried one this morning, it uses up holiday candy which I didn't put in due to not having any! And it's a disaster, it's burnt on the outside, so will grease pan with trex next time before flour and it didn't rise. i used plain flour with baking powder in it as the US recipes don't state plain or self raising, maybe you could shed some light on this and which one I should try? All the fat sank to the bottom again. I'm going to have a go at a madera this afternoon as suggested by my mother in law, I think it will be too heavy but I've got until next saturday to crack this and will keep going til I get one I like!

Look forward to having a go with the Nigella one, think I'l get some buttermilk now as I head out to the supermarket (again!)

Caroline xxx

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 8

Hi there fellow Brit, Carrotspine! You might want to try this website as they sell Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines cake mixes (although they seem a bit expensive) http://stores.ebay.co.uk/American-Food-Shop_DUNCAN-HINES_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ4556909QQftidZ2QQtZkm
To prevent the cake from cooking too quickly on the outside, I will also suggest either using well soaked baking strips from Wilton around your giant cupcake pan or better still using well soaked strips of old towels. It makes all the difference.

CakeWhizz Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 8

PS regarding the flour issue, generally when an American recipe calls for flour, I use self raising flour unless it calls for cake flour which we don't have in the UK. In that case, I substitute a couple of tablespoons of self raising flour with cornflour to get a lighter consistency and it seems to work. I also have a conversion chart which I got off the net which has been of enormous help to me and I found it on http://www.recipegoldmine.com/kitchart/kitchart2.html

carrotspine Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:27am
post #8 of 8

Hi all
well, i tried the Nigella buttermilk recipe, I only had half the buttermilk amount but topped it up with full fat milk, and it was a huge (literally! loads of cut off to make cake balls!) success, it didn't burn as I used trex to grease the tin this time, followed the recipe and hurrah, it tastes lovely. I haven't iced this as it was a practise ready for the parties this weekend and the one after, but so pleased. Thanks you so much for everyones help.
I'll put the pictures of the finished product after the weekend, don't expect anything too fancy though, i'm only just getting to grips with the baking side!
Caroline xxx
ps, i have booked marked recipegoldmine too, what a find!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%